Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple more n00b questions....

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 01:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple more n00b questions....

Okay here I go.... Any help is greatly appreciated so thanks in advance!

1. What are the HP and Rev limitations of a stock LS1?

2. Considering a good DD cam, what are HP expectations of an otherwise stock LS1 with a mild cam? (Yes I read the sticky)

3. What is a good handheld tuner for the LS1? In Mustang world the Diablo and the SCT are popular (dont think they make the SCT for Chevy)

4. What are average cam install prices on an OHV? I called and quoted cam install for my Mustang (SOHC) and they said close to $500. Would it be any more or any less on an LS1?
Old 03-12-2006, 01:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Not sure what you mean by HP limitations, but HP is right around 350 stock. Rev. limitations with stock tuning is a fuel cut off at 6000 RPM's (I think.)
2. Alot of that depends on your amount of Bolt-Ons and the cam itself. With ported TB/LS6 Intake, Full exhaust, UD Pulley, Free Mods etc. 380-390 ish with a decent cam. I.e. TR224/112LSA.
3. None, if you want to tune it take it to a shop and have them tune it properly, if you think you can do it use HP Tuners or a simlar program. Not a handheld programmer. They are really only good for raising speed limits , adjusting speedo and rev. limiters. Worthless. Even if thats all you want, almost any tuner shop will do that for $50.
4. $500 sounds about right for a cam/spring install. Some places are alot higher though. But...its not hard to do your self. I did mine when I was 19.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

Aww thanks for the info. And I was mainly wondering how much HP the LS1 can stand up to before the block/rotating assembly says "no more". And how much more difficult/time consuming is it to install A single cam on an OHV engine than it is to install a set of cams on a SOHC engine? That was mainly what I was getting at. Not too familiar with OHV engines as I have only owned 2 Mustangs and a Honda.

Also, is a tune and full exhaust mandatory for a cam swap? There arent any tuning shops within a few hundred miles of where I live...
Old 03-12-2006, 01:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Search. Read the stickies in the new enthusiasts, external and internal sections.

Horsepower limit on a stock LS1? Well, you can potentially make over 450 rwhp on a stock engine, but I am not sure what you are really asking. All bolt ons can make >350rwhp, then you can add a 125-150 horse shot of nitrous....

Otherwise stock LS1 with a mild cam and an M6 you could probably expect to make 385 rwhp.

You should, however, be more concerned with what it will run than how much power it will put down on the dyno.

You can do the in stall yourself or expect to pay $400-$600 at a decent shop. Yes, a tune and full exhaust is mandatory with a cam swap. If you hve an auto you need a converter swap, and if you have a manual you should swap gears.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:06 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by then00b
Aww thanks for the info. And I was mainly wondering how much HP the LS1 can stand up to before the block/rotating assembly says "no more". And how much more difficult/time consuming is it to install A single cam on an OHV engine than it is to install a set of cams on a SOHC engine? That was mainly what I was getting at. Not too familiar with OHV engines as I have only owned 2 Mustangs and a Honda.

Also, is a tune and full exhaust mandatory for a cam swap? There arent any tuning shops within a few hundred miles of where I live...
That usually depends on the motor. 98's have weaker rodbolts so you cant spin them as fast, like 7k I mean. The cam swap isnt hard, all the comes off really is some acc. up front, the front cover, the valve covers, springs, pushrods etc. then spin the cam and slide it out. But many people have had 500RWHP + car on stock bottom end. Yea, like stated above, the cam will be worthless unless you have the full exhaust (and stall if your an auto),
Old 03-12-2006, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

Just as a side note by the way, I know you've been posting exhaustively on this site lately so you've probably already heard it but in case you hadn't, when you ask what the upwards HP limitations on these cars are, the problem isn't the LS1 itself this motor is virtually indestructible even up to 450-500 rwhp on the stock bottom end and valvetrain... the problem is your REAR END. By the time you make it to 450 hp your problem isn't wondering if your engine can take it because your stock 10 bolt will have already been long since dead by then.

How much hp can the stock rear take is a better question b/c it will give out LONG before the LS1 does... and how much can it take?... how about "less than stock so it doesn't matter anyway" LOL...
Old 03-12-2006, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Trust
That usually depends on the motor. 98's have weaker rodbolts so you cant spin them as fast, like 7k I mean. The cam swap isnt hard, all the comes off really is some acc. up front, the front cover, the valve covers, springs, pushrods etc. then spin the cam and slide it out. But many people have had 500RWHP + car on stock bottom end. Yea, like stated above, the cam will be worthless unless you have the full exhaust (and stall if your an auto),
unless its a cheatr cam...
Old 03-12-2006, 06:01 PM
11 Second Club

But many people have had 500RWHP + car on stock bottom end.
You are referring to people with power adders, right?
Old 04-14-2006, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

500 rwhp is not as easy on the stock bottom end as people would have you think. For every guy you hear that did it and didn't mess anything up for awhile I bet there are a few that did mess something up. But I agree that the rear-end and transmission will present problems before the LS1.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:13 PM
Teching In

In what year did the LS1s get stronger rod bolts? 1999? Does anyone have a link outlining some of the other LS1 (not just the engine) changes from say, 1998 through 2000? Thanx!
Old 04-14-2006, 07:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by neonacr
In what year did the LS1s get stronger rod bolts? 1999? Does anyone have a link outlining some of the other LS1 (not just the engine) changes from say, 1998 through 2000? Thanx!
It's stickied at the top of this very section.......

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....80&postcount=2
Old 04-14-2006, 07:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
You are referring to people with power adders, right?
Yes sir, mostly FI
Old 04-14-2006, 07:32 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by mpe488
500 rwhp is not as easy on the stock bottom end as people would have you think. For every guy you hear that did it and didn't mess anything up for awhile I bet there are a few that did mess something up. But I agree that the rear-end and transmission will present problems before the LS1.
I can see where your coming from, but it also makes it impossible to argue you if I just present a list of people who have been successful with 500+ RWHP,because you can just rebutle back with a list of people who have messed up their engines with the same power. I know of 2 or 3 (local) with over 600 to the wheels on the stock bottom end, they are all FI though, with the exception of one N2O car.