Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will Carfax show flood damage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 01:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will Carfax show flood damage?

So I was doing some research, calling a bunch of dealerships, and just hoping to get lucky and find what I'm looking for. The dealer that I planned to visit today sold the WS6 I was going to go look at, however they did call me and told me about a Midnight Blue coming in later in the week. They said it was being trailered in from Alabama and only had 19K miles. When I asked what price I could expect she told me "low 20's". Now is this a pretty average price?? Seems a bit low to me. To get to the point I wanted to touch on, lets say this car has flood damage from Katrina, will Carfax show that? Or is it that there is really no way for them to have any idea of it? The dealer told me this car came from the auction, thats what kind of sparked this in my head.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:36 AM
On The Tree

I'm not too sure about that price being good or not. But with the hurricane recovered cars, if it was severely damaged it would show that on carfax as well as the title IF it was found out about. Some cars suffering from flood damage never get reported, and unfortunately are sold as perfectly good cars....
Old 03-14-2006, 07:15 AM
Chop-Foo Director

I wouldn't pay over 20 for it, even if it was pristine. Did he even say what year it was?
Old 03-14-2006, 11:15 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah thats what I'm worried about, it being flooded and not reported. It's a 2002, don't pay over 20??
Old 03-14-2006, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ipitythefools
Yeah thats what I'm worried about, it being flooded and not reported. It's a 2002, don't pay over 20??
95% of the cars that were damaged in the floods were reported as such. There are ways to tell if it was a flooded car...
Old 03-14-2006, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by then00b
95% of the cars that were damaged in the floods were reported as such. There are ways to tell if it was a flooded car...

Yeah thats true, I'm just hoping everything is good with this WS6 so I can adopt it and bring her home with me
Old 03-14-2006, 11:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Carfax's aren't very good. My dad has had many cars get traded in to him. Just two weeks ago he got a car that had been rolled. Said it was probably totaled but for some reason they fixed it anyhow (not a very good job). Had a clean carfax. It happens all the time. Basically if carfax says something bad it's true. But not all things go reported. So if it's clean I'd always make sure.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:09 AM
Teching In

I have a pretty close tie right now as far as the insurance agencies go with the cars involved in Katrina. The Louisana state government past legislation that ALL the cars concering Katrina were to be sold for the sole purpose of parting out, they CAN NOT be sold as rebuilders with the intent of repairing with the purpose of putting them back on the street. I havent seen one in my hands yet but there is something funny that they put on the titles that makes these cars noticeable. If anyone has any questions about this PM me with your questions and I will do my best to figure it out.

Quick Reply: will Carfax show flood damage?