Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is an LS1 the car for me?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is an LS1 the car for me?

Alright well I have gone over the discussion of weather or not I'd want a convertible or not however to decide if the car is for me or not is the real question. Today I had an SRT-4 for about 6 hours, and we drove it... hard, it was a fun car but I just could NOT get over the crap *** cheap-o NEONness of it, being american as chevrolet, is the Camaro the same build? Or is it really a solid heavy strong built car, because that SRT-4 was having problems already at even 14,000 miles... it just seemed to be a mess, I don't know weather longevity of cars that are N/A are known to last longer but I don't want to make a mistake when buying this car, also some say the Camaro is a boat, I didn't think the SRT-4 handled that well but some say better than the Camaro and that... well, sucks. I have driven quite a few LS1's but never drove them aggressively in any form but straight line, gas to floor... I just would picture them doing a nose dive or feel like a yacht vs. jet ski's... maybe my taste in cars is changing because I am 20 and not 17 anymore but I just really want a car I CAN mod if I want to, if not then I can drive... take care of regular maintinence and have it last me a long time in case I fall in love with it and don't want to let it go... I will be driving a 2001 SS Convertible M6 in black either tomorrow or saturday I guess beyond opinion I will have to see.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like your a GTO guy to me. Quality is top notch and the handling isn't bad either! The GTO's are still brutes. Camaros/Firebirds interiors etc. is of lesser quality but they seem to handle relatively well given the solid axle.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

Eh, I won't be able to find a GTO for $15,000 ish though, $20,000 is too much car for me because I am 20 and will have to shell out $350 a month for insurance I'm sure, owing $5000 less on the car is a big deal. I have driven the GTO and it does indeed seem to be built well... the thing that sucks is to narrow all the cars down I end up looking at an RSX Type S wich I know I'd kick myself for buying because it is down right gutless, and the s2000 is just too dinky.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you can't afford a GTO then you can't afford a Vette, so I would go with the fbody. They can be built up to be monsters on the street/strip or be a great daily driver. Neither of my two Trans Am's have had to many squeeks or rattles and to me they are very comfortable and when maintained well they will last forever.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:24 PM
TECH Regular

Man im 20 yrs old too and its only $145.00 a month for me on a 2001 Covette! Of course thats not what I drive. But I was checking some quotes and had my agent run it to see what it would be.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For 15k you can get a NICE F-body. If a vette and GTO are out of your price range (trust me I know, I'm 20 too) then get the nicest F-Body you can find in your price range. You have to relaize that I'm talking from my point of view, my car is lowerd, stiffer suspension, and has quite a few miles on it so a newer will be much more comfortable. My friend has an 02 SS and his is alot more comfortable than mine, and he also has no traction issues! But I'm not complaining!
Old 03-16-2006, 09:46 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a F-body, i'm 20 too, got my 2000 WS6 M6 for 16,500 with 36K, I havn't looked back.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

A Z28 beat the S2000 in a track test, posting a 2 second better lap time, so the f body handles pretty well, it's definately got the power, the only thing is usually the quality of the interior isn't the greatest (typical gm plastics and materials) but I DD my T/A, and it works fine for me, not many squeaks, and no rattles (at least so far)
Old 03-16-2006, 11:54 PM
11 Second Club

i like my leather interior....i don't think the interior is bad at all in these cars....it's no beamer but i much nive then a neon
Old 03-16-2006, 11:56 PM
TECH Regular

i have been driving my 98 transam 6 speed for over three years and i love it more now than i ever have. ls1 fbodies are not bimmers but they are solid, reliable cars with good looks and good power....if you find one in shape you cant go wrong...

SRT4's are easy to mod but now they are about as rare as a V6 mustang. I see more EVO's, STI's, SRT4's and stangs around here than LS1 camaros and TA's.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:31 AM
TECH Addict

yeah id go with a F body, ive had 2 of them and for being 20 years old too their isnt a whole lot else out their thats any better for the price range
Old 03-17-2006, 08:36 AM
On The Tree

Well I will admit, after that day of hard driving, I logged about 100 miles on the SRT-4 and went through a full tank of gas, yes they rate at 23mpg city... lol so that will give you an idea of how it was driven but it peaked out at 140mph which is not bad for a "neon" and pulled all the way up to 130. I think it just wore me out and I know I won't/CANT drive that hard all the time unless I plan on handcuffs.

I'd think that once your IN the F-Bod it's nice and comfy like a cockpit but swinging heavy doors and crawling out could be a pain in the *** but in the end I swore I wouldn't get a car that was slow even it was reliable... and I am sure that these cars can be kept up well, hell at least one doesnt have to worry about overboosting, the cars can take the hell I'm sure but it'd be easier to find a well taken care of LS1 because of the crowd they attracted brand new, $20,000 car new ANYone can buy... meaning lots of dumb kids that give SRT-4's a bad name. I am in love with the feeling of driving, slow or fast knowing that you can pull or run with damn near anything. How well do LS1 Fbods hold up against a C5... seems as if there track times are similar, low low 13's and MAYBE high 12's with the C5 if it hooks up perfect.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:59 AM
On The Tree

DO NOT buy an LS1. You're much too young, the cars are dangerous. Try to find a clean, used K car. Now, tell me where to find this black M6 SS convertible for $15k?
Old 03-17-2006, 09:03 AM
TECH Resident

what this guy above said, your to young, you may be if your not mature enough to drive safely or handle a extremely powerful car i am over speeding like a nut on the street i drive this car slower than any of my others and im 20 but im also a little more mature i think than an average 20 year old being done with college and workin full time paying for everyhting myself and haveing some self control untill i hit the track, but....

well im guessing u live in NJ if your gonna be paying like 350 a month for insurance thats about what i pay now here in NJ im 20 also. i just bought my 2001 trans am in december and its amazing. i perosnally love the interior,the LS1 engine pulls like nuttin else deep into the 100+ mph area, it just sticks yuo and your passenger into your seat and doesnt let u go untill that foot is off the gas.

i had a mazda turbo before this that was pretty even with an srt4 runnin low 14's boosted with a little suspension work and it was fun but it just does not compare to the f-body. there is nuttin out there that can beat the looks and power w/good reliability for daily driving for the price IMO. i drive mine up rt287 in bumper to bumper traffic every morning and it does nuttin but run perfect. the monsoon sterio cranks like a ***** fuka for a stock radio and you get compliments and looks everywhere u go.

i dont think u can beat being able to throw a cam in an a couple bolt ons and make close to 400rwhp and still be reliable like these are. and yes they handle great i dunno how close to a Z06 im sure nuttin like it but they are stuff and handle turns real well. my buddy put hotchkis springs in his and its like it is on rails around turns. but anyway go for the fbody i think ull love it and laugh when u think u almost bought a NEON!
Old 03-17-2006, 09:44 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sp00led Ya
Well I will admit, after that day of hard driving, I logged about 100 miles on the SRT-4 and went through a full tank of gas, yes they rate at 23mpg city... lol so that will give you an idea of how it was driven but it peaked out at 140mph which is not bad for a "neon" and pulled all the way up to 130. I think it just wore me out and I know I won't/CANT drive that hard all the time unless I plan on handcuffs.

I'd think that once your IN the F-Bod it's nice and comfy like a cockpit but swinging heavy doors and crawling out could be a pain in the *** but in the end I swore I wouldn't get a car that was slow even it was reliable... and I am sure that these cars can be kept up well, hell at least one doesnt have to worry about overboosting, the cars can take the hell I'm sure but it'd be easier to find a well taken care of LS1 because of the crowd they attracted brand new, $20,000 car new ANYone can buy... meaning lots of dumb kids that give SRT-4's a bad name. I am in love with the feeling of driving, slow or fast knowing that you can pull or run with damn near anything. How well do LS1 Fbods hold up against a C5... seems as if there track times are similar, low low 13's and MAYBE high 12's with the C5 if it hooks up perfect.

Did you test drive it from a dealer?....

That was a long test drive... 0_o...

High speed too.... o_0

Old 03-17-2006, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

Dealership, they let me have the car and I brought it back to them about 5 hours later, they knew I was taking it for that long because I told them when I would bring it back, as far as the LS1 I am one to have self control, I am not some douche bag kid that can't handle power, I have driven anything from a Chevy Aveo to yes a 2001 Porsche Carrera C4 Turbo, in red... rated at 415hp 415ft lbs AWD. now amazing is defined, I can drive. I would like to know how much the cam IS (obviously depending wich one) but a good guestimate, what the install time is like and I noticed some camaros with exhaust and cam, thats it... I'd do full bolt ons wich I believe is a lid, LS6 intake, headers, exhaust and is that it? What am I missing. those mods would get me into mid to low 12's?
Old 03-17-2006, 09:58 AM
TECH Resident

full exhaust,lid,ls6 intake(non 01-02 models),slicks oh and a torque converter if ur an auto will get u mid to low 12's, a cam is about 350 prolly 800 for everyhting u need with my mods in my sig. im shootin for like 12.7 on street tires
Old 03-17-2006, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

Get the F-body.. belive me... My car run 8.46's Stock.. corners hard with the right rubber on .. and for THE money you cant buy any other car that goes like hell and still handles.. you could maybe buy and older porshe that would run and corner but up keep and maintance would eat up some mod money.. as stated before ..I went to buy a 95 LT1 conv for 14,9 and THANK GOD .. I waited and found my LS1 for 16,9 My car in EVERY way (except i have T-tops ) is SUPERIOR to that car and my tires are (600.00 a set not 2800.00) no b/s every thing on a vette is 2x the price and i havent found a stock vette till 05 that can keep up with my car in a straight line, and most cant keep up in corners depending on the driver... It's the ONE thing that no matter what's happening i can crawl in that thing.. YES, there low cars and you will have to crawl in and out.. well when you get older like me... and imedialty a smile come to my face .. and it ON!

so i vote ls1
Attached Thumbnails Is an LS1 the car for me?-winner1.jpg  
Old 03-17-2006, 04:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by gtarist
DO NOT buy an LS1. You're much too young, the cars are dangerous. Try to find a clean, used K car. Now, tell me where to find this black M6 SS convertible for $15k?
What??? There is a huge amount of younger people that have LS1's... Just go look at the poll and it will tell you that much. I'm 17, and have had mine since I was 16, and have another Trans Am that runs 6.50s every weekend of the season... They might be dangerous, but its not like younger people cant handle them. Its the immature young guys that want to floor it around every corner in traffic, try to race everyone they see, and try to do 155+mph on a old backroad that dont need them(just examples), IMO.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

I also drove an SRT-4 and it really felt like.... well a Neon. I'm sure you and anybody else that has driven one knows exactly what I am talking about. The interior is the unsportiest interior ever. The shifter is well blow your seat level so it feels like you are driving a POS truck. It's FWD made opening it up a PITA with all the wheel hop. And they don't have very good consumer quality ratings from what I hear.

And I don't know what people are talking about when they diss the interior. I like the LS1 F-body interior much more than my Mustang interior. The quality/plastics don't seem like they are really cheap (granted they don't seem expensive either). It sits much lower than my 'Stang and feels more cockpit like.

I am currently deciding between a 350Z and an LS1... I am leaning towards the LS1 right now but it might be a tough decision.