New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

take the plunge?

Old 03-17-2006, 12:15 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default take the plunge?

ive been 'ing around for a while, and i jsut want some opinions. i bought a 00 ws6 a while back and now has 70k miles. ive driven it and to say the least, i dont like the auto aspect of it. its got the stock converter and i suppose i could get a stall because im sick of the flat spots when going WOT. it jst doesnt go when i want it to... but i really like the idea of doing a complete swap and get a t56 in there. do you guys think its worth the money? im sure this question ahs been beaten to death, but i wana hear some perspectives on actually doing the swap. i dont plan on takin it to the track at all, so i have no need for a built auto. (not to mention this is a daily driver...). i want to make the right decision and spend my money wisly. when going WOT with a manual, does it have the same flat acceleration spots? this would be my first manual car btw . worth the effort?
Old 03-17-2006, 12:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Honestly, I would just a get a converter. It is waay cheaper and I think you would like it.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:27 PM
Launching!

yeah, but stock transmissions and high stall converters dont seem to mix too well, even if its cooled. especially since i have a higher milage car, i dont know if its worth the effort to install it, wait three weeks and have it crap out on me. i know people have had sucess with it (even with 100K+), but idk if its worth the risk.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

You can build the a4 and put a stall and put a cooler on it for what it's going to cost to do the swap from a4 to m6. Plus with an m6 you have to worry about breaking the 10-bolt more. Just trying to give an unbiased answer as you can tell I myself have an m6.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was torn between the same decision you are for a long time. I've done research on this, and 777 brings up a good point. If you go t56, you're gonna break the 10 bolt eventually, no if's and's or but's.....it is just gonna happen. So you need to add that to the swap costs. I really think you should try to find someone near you with a stalled auto. You may change your mind about the hassle of swapping a4 to m6 (it ain't an easy swap) when you feel how different a stalled ls1 is compared to stock. You can have a bullet proof auto/converter for WAY less than going t56/new rearend.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:05 AM
Launching!

yeah i really considered getting a stall, but idk if my transmission (stock with 71000) will hold up to the extra abuse... i dont want to get a stall, install it (which isnt the easiest thing either), and have my tranny take a dump on me two days later.. y not do it right the first time and swap everything out? i understand the 10 bolt thing and thats my biggest hurdel i suppose. i mean, swap the transmission; break the rear end. swap the converter; break the transmission... i just cant win. having said that, there is no one even remotly around me i know of with a stalled fbody, so i can only assume what its like to drive one, and maybe thats y im so hesitant to get one, because i dont know how it feels. i mean, how different is it really?
Old 03-19-2006, 12:11 AM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sell your car and get a m6... Thats what I would do if I was unhappy with it atleast. I don't think its worth the time/effort to do a major conversion like that to a car, but thats JMO
Old 03-19-2006, 12:21 AM
Launching!

i could sell it, but there is something satisfying about working on my car. i mean, its not like i wouldnt enjoy doing the conversion, i think it would be fun, but i just want to do it right the first time
Old 03-19-2006, 12:26 AM
TECH Addict

i have a manual and it was my first. these cars are easier to learn on believe it or not, but unless you REALLY want a manual stick with the auto, as far as money goes my friend. but at the same time i'd never sell my manual for an auto, just my two cents for ya and it's a little unbiased
Old 03-19-2006, 02:46 AM
On The Tree

I know its the not the same tranny or engine, but when I put a stall in my old '96 Impala SS it made an insane difference and made up for the fact that only 1 (that I know of) 94-96 SS had a M6 stock. Costs for the M6 conversion for that car were in the $4000-$5000 range, if you did it yourself and $6000-$8000 if you had a shop do it. I would imagine it would be the same for these cars as well. Just something to think about.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by delinquent543
because im sick of the flat spots when going WOT. it jst doesnt go when i want it to...
Shouldn't be that bad. Have you done the spark plugs yet? I felt a nice boost in power when I did mine at ~ 50k.

Old 03-19-2006, 05:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

In my opinion, if you want a stick car that bad, sell yours and buy one. I wouldn't mess with a swapover. An A4 with a stall will suprise you, and I say you'll like it just as well as a M6. I've had a stock auto, stalled auto, and a M6, and I by far like the stalled auto best of all. I don't know of very many people having that many problems out of them either. Just my two cents.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

As I already said, it would be cheaper for you to buy a converter, get your 4l60e transmission built up, and be ready to go; that it would be to swap to an m6. Be because you would have to buy the transmission, clutch, and all the stuff needed to swap it over. That alone should be more than your converter a4 setup. Then you will still have a stock t-56 and 10-bolt that will probably break soon if you drive it hard. On the other hand you will have a 10-bolt that's been proven to got low 10's with a stalled auto, you will have a built 4l60e and it will be strong. To me it's really a no brainer. If you were going to do the swap just sell the car and not worry about it. Otherwise fix what you got.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:48 AM
Launching!

u guys convinced me to get a stall, lol.. wasnt that hard actually. thanks guys. oh and no, i havent changed the plugs, im wating to buy some LTs, which i will probably install when i get the stall.. i have a huge list of mods i want to do, but not enough $$...

Search this Thread