New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is $8K too much for a salvage title car (35th SS with 7k miles)?

Old 03-19-2006, 09:09 PM
Truck addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default is $8K too much for a salvage title car (35th SS with 7k miles)?

i have the opportunity to buy one. i know the guy that has it now paid about a grand for it. so even at 8K he stands to make a good bit of money on the car. its the SS that has the stripes up the hood. the car was a flood car but everything works and is as clean as they come. so do you think 8k is too much? i am pretty decent with the tools. i have the place to store it so i can go through the entire car if needed. time to do so isn't high up but i have several other cars to drive in the meantime.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:10 PM
Launching!

that all depends on how much damage there is because really if its easly fixed you can make a quick 10 grand off that car.

Last edited by ACW; 03-21-2006 at 12:36 AM. Reason: your original post went to the top because of server time sync issues.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:23 PM
Truck addict

not sure why you went to the top. there is supposedly no damage to the car. it had water up to the floor boards. no higher as far as i know. but i have before and after pictures coming to me.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't seem like too bad a deal if you're decent with tools and have the skills to fix what's wrong (if anything), the possible downside is what did the water get into (trans, rear, engine), and what damage did it do, and what will it cost to fix
Old 03-19-2006, 10:03 PM
Truck addict

ok, i just got off the phone about the car. i was misled on the mileage and price. price is 7k and mileage is 5k. 6 speed full slp car. t-tops and the two tone leather. a friend of mine test drove the car and says it rides like it should. nice and tight with no squeeks or rattles. he said the paint was scuffed in several places like someone had walked on the car. probably an easy buff to fix. the drivers seat has a small hole the size of your pinky but the seat would be swapped out with the exact same car but auto. i'm trying to get the owner on the phone but due to the time i'll have to wait till tomorrow. i'm gonna offer 5k cash and see where it goes. i'm also gonna get the vin to run a carfax to see what all it shows besides a flood car.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:03 PM
Launching!

well in that case its a good buy.
let us know how it goes
Old 03-19-2006, 11:13 PM
TECH Addict

i would say definately buy it, . . . . as long as you plan on keeping the car and not reselling it, i personally dont have a problem with salvaged titled cars but you gotta remember that is gonna be alot harder to sell if you do come to that one day b/c people are very picky, and i would bet money you won't get 7k back....
Old 03-19-2006, 11:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds good to me
Old 03-19-2006, 11:34 PM
9 Second Club

I bought a salvage title t/a in highschool... it's always a gamble... but I drove mine for 30k miles and never had any problems... Sounds like the price is right, just be careful and look the car over very closely....
Old 03-20-2006, 12:29 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Horrible deal..give me the number etc. and I'll call them and tell them to quit picking on you. J/K I'd buy that in a heartbeat man, you'll just need to pull apart the interior and get it treated etc. Since you said everything works, I'm sure you would have said if the motor was locked up or something since its not, get it!
Old 03-20-2006, 01:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

get it !
Old 03-20-2006, 04:44 AM
Truck addict

i am waiting for a decent hour that normal people are up. i am gonna go ahead and try to take it off the mans hands. they said it had some sort of nutrilizer sprayed in and on the car. i'll probably keep it like my truck. i have no resale cause of all the mods so whats the point in trying to sell it. same will go for this car.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 02 was purchased as the salvaged title. Similar to the one you're looking at it was a flood with water up to the base of the seats. I paid 9500 from a buddy who paid about 8500 at auction for it. He gutted the whole interior and replaced all the seats/carpet etc.. I've owned it for 2 years and have never had an issue. The problem will come if you decide to sell it. Because it has a branded title it will not be worth as much no matter what was wrong with it initially. I'd say if you want a driver and are not worried about resale to get it.

One other thing...If it comes with a salvage title you will not be able to register it or get tags for it until you prove to the state that the vehicle was repaired. The way you go about doing this will vary from state to state but in my state it took 3 months to get a good title to use for registration. Good luck!
Old 03-20-2006, 06:02 AM
TECH Resident

As far as a flood car, depends on how long it was sitting, Id definetly drive it a little and then check the oil.

I dont know how high the water got, but if it was sitting for a little, plan on having to replace the wheel bearings all around.

Prior to moving, we had 3 50 foot trailers, all triple axle. During the hurricanes the whole yard got flooded with a few feet of water depending on the area. Some bearings we replaced, others we cleaned well (with gasoline) and repacked them.

Ive heard that on our cars the front hub does not come apart though.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:43 PM
Truck addict

well i talked to this guy and he has two of these cars. an auto and the m6. he has someone trying to buy both of them. so now he wants me to pay more than this guy is offering. i told him to pack sand. not worth getting into a bidding war over a salvage car.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by goshawk23
well i talked to this guy and he has two of these cars. an auto and the m6. he has someone trying to buy both of them. so now he wants me to pay more than this guy is offering. i told him to pack sand. not worth getting into a bidding war over a salvage car.
i'd be expecting a phone call back telling you the guy backed out basically i'm saying said " guy " doesn't exist.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Pretty good considering a local dealer had a salvage title 01 nbm ss 6 speed,loaded w/40000 miles looked pretty clean but he wanted 14,500 for it. It was hit in right front and it looked to be repaired well but I didn't look too close when he told me the price.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

You could part it out for more than that!!!!
Old 03-24-2006, 12:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99camarosupersport
i'd be expecting a phone call back telling you the guy backed out basically i'm saying said " guy " doesn't exist.
If someone else isn't interested in the car, why would the guy raise his asking price and not just refuse the lowball offer? People would line up around the block for an 5,000 mile '02 SS for $7k with SLP options in good running/driving condition. If the guy selling this advertises this car at all, consider it sold. It sounds to me like he has gotten overwhelming interest in the car and has realized he is asking too little. I'm honestly suprised it hasn't sold in the past two days.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:46 AM
TECH Addict

the fact that he suddenly wants him to pay more than the other guy that is supposedly wanting it. think of it to how an auction works, you want something so does someone else, he knows goshawk23 wanted to buy the car, so why not say someone else wanted it too and say but you can still get it if you pay MORE than said guy. it's human nature, most people want what they don't / can't have. kinda easy now that i phrase it that way huh

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: is $8K too much for a salvage title car (35th SS with 7k miles)?