New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some advice on how to act on this please.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 02:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need some advice on how to act on this please.

Well i found the car i want to buy in colorado, it was the 99 camaro SS liste on here. Problem is the guy still owes $ on it and the bank he is financed through does not have a branch in colorado. (bank of america) Now im weary of giving him the $ and taking the car and waiting for him to mail the title. My buddy suggested paypaling him the $ and he can get the title then we come get the car in about a week. Is there any way he can run off with the $ and im screwed? Say he up and vanishes somehow and he closes the bank account etc, can i still get my $ back from paypal? Or am i stuck then?

Id really like to get the car in the next couple days so i was thinking get a bill of sale stating its paid for and explaining he is to mail the title to me as soon as he gets it from the bank in a week or so, and get it notorized. Would taht work? Any ides anyone has would be great!
Old 04-03-2006, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try to contact Bank of America. The bank owns the title of the car til it is paid off. Same thing happened when I bought my car, it was financed at a bank in Los Angeles and I lived two hours away from it, and about a month later I got the title in the mail after everything got finalized.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:04 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds fishy to me. I bought my car from a guy who still owed on it, and we were able to take care of everything in about 4 hours.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:02 PM
Teching In

I buy and sell motorcycles and go through this all the time. Its not fishy at all, if the bank is out of state it could take 2 weeks. There is a risk involved, if you met the guy and he seems like a stand up person you'll have to trust him. I would make sure your meeting him at his house, make sure he lives there by checking the address on his liscense. To speed up the process make sure he sends the funds to the bank, next day air. He might be able to do a wire transfer to the bank, that would really speed things up.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well i met him and he seemed like a good guy, i went with him to get the cash turned into a cashiers check so he could mail the final payment on the car (actually went to 3 banks and ended up having to open an account to get the cashier check made 10 minutes before the last bank closed! Damn lil towns in the mountains lol.) but he got a copy of the form shipped overnight so it was there when i arrived the next day, had the bank title and all and said he is authorizing the title to be sent to me etc etc and had a warning some states require the seller to sign the title (he gave me permission to sign his name) I took him to the post office and watched him drop the payment in the mail. Bank said i should get it in 7-10 days. I trust everything is fine and have a copy of the form and the cashiers check that was sent out and a bill of sale he signed. Should be all good to go! Thanx for everyones advice.