New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

modding 2004 GTO - will changing thermostat to a 160 be okay?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 05:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default modding 2004 GTO - will changing thermostat to a 160 be okay?

I picked up a 2004 GTO with 7,400 miles for 18K recently. I've done a couple of mods. Added the K & N high flow system and changed out the thermostat to a 160. I do this seasonally - cooler in the summer and back to original in the winter. Did the same to a 97 Sonoma and the motor was as tight a drum 175K when I sold it. My question is will I burn the piston heads by reducing the engine temp? I've never had a high performance motor before...
Thanks
Old 04-19-2006, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

pics would be nice, but good choice. theres a yellow GTO down the road from me at a small independent dealer that looks sweet, but i like the look of my camaro more than the GTO.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Remember, if you never get your engine up to normal operating temp 170º F to 190º F you won't burn off all the water, combustion by-products, and you'll get sludge.
Not saying you will, but oil needs to get hot.

I did the cold thermostat back in the 90's with my 5.0 The theory was to keep the car, cold in "open loop" etc.. and make it go faster. Didn't do anything but run cooler

Your motor wants to see around 200º F oil temps for a long sludge free life. Have fun!! you bought a nice car.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:37 AM
Teching In

Thanks Carter - I've heard about the water thing, especially if I make some short trips around town. I didn't think I'd have a sludge problem with synthetics? The manual stipulates synthetics from the start, Mobil One. My concern was by fooling the black box I'd increased volume gas running at a cooler temp which in turn might burn the piston heads over a period of time.

Last edited by Dave C; 04-20-2006 at 04:49 AM.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Z28LS1camaroguy
pics would be nice, but good choice. theres a yellow GTO down the road from me at a small independent dealer that looks sweet, but i like the look of my camaro more than the GTO.

Z28 - I'm the SILVERGOAT out on CarDomain. The digital camera moved with oldest daughter. I'm getting it back this weekend to post pics and mods on that site. Mine's silver M6 with a red interior. That yellow is blinding and asking for a ticket - you can't hide with that color. The first year I saw them I did not like the look - but it grew on me. Then I made the mistake of driving an 06 M6 at the dealer...the rest is history.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:02 AM
Banned

I'd don't think I'd go any lower than a 180 degree thermostat. Anything below that doesn't allow the engine to fully warm up, and as the others said, that can result in moisture buildup and shorter oil life.

Also note that the ECU may keep the car in "open loop" mode, meaning it won't take readings from the oxygen sensors. It just sets the A/F ratio based on predetermined tables, meaning less power and worse fuel economy, which is never a good thing
Old 04-20-2006, 10:07 AM
TECH Resident

There have been a lot of debates on the 160's over on ls1gto.com Some say there isn't any gain, some even claim it will cause problems. I wish they made a 180 that fit.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Domestic Demon
I'd don't think I'd go any lower than a 180 degree thermostat. Anything below that doesn't allow the engine to fully warm up, and as the others said, that can result in moisture buildup and shorter oil life.

Also note that the ECU may keep the car in "open loop" mode, meaning it won't take readings from the oxygen sensors. It just sets the A/F ratio based on predetermined tables, meaning less power and worse fuel economy, which is never a good thing
i'm using predetermined tables so my o2's don't f* up my tune, it being a 99 who knows if they are still 100% good or if they've gone bad, plus i dont trust those things on a modded engine...and no my fuel economy is not that bad. mods in sig.

Quick Reply: modding 2004 GTO - will changing thermostat to a 160 be okay?