Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 03:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy

New to LS1s and i'm going to look at a 2000 z28 m6 this weekend. any things i should look for that are common problems? I'm planning to do a compression check and try to get it up on a lift. guy says the car has a new 20k longblock from a vette, ram power hd clutch and a new 10 bolt with 3.73 gears. is that a decent clutch?
Old 05-10-2006, 03:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ram hd is fine if its on a bolt-on car, but once you throw cam/heads or fi into the mix it isnt stout enough to handle a massive amount of power. Also, whats the mileage ont he car and why the engine swap? Id also be weary of the new 10-bolt. Sounds like he beat the **** out of the car IMO, but if everything is mechanically sound then go for it. Just make sure to check that it wasnt wrecked or anything like that.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:35 PM
Teching In

the car used to be a cam + nitrous car. Seems like all the parts that take a beating besides the tranny are replaced though. How do the trannys hold up in these cars? has 90k on the body.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

The t-56's are pretty stout, however you should have the tranny checked just in case. I have seen a few t-56's that have had bent 3-4 shift forks due to hard shifting. If everything is rebuilt and seems to be in good shape then go for it. Id just def have the tranny checked out too just to make sure your not getting someone elses problem.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:50 PM
Teching In

yea i'll get the tranny checked out. think i should just take it to the chevy dealer? will i be able to tell if its focked up from driving? also are the 3.73s stock and if not is that a good choice?
Old 05-10-2006, 08:06 PM
TECH Addict

Nah stock in an m6 t-56 are 3.42 gears, thats what they all come with stock. 3.73's are a good choice though so no problem there. i dunno if id take it to a chevy dealer, id say take it to a local shop you trust, and if you dont know of any then take it to chevy as a last resort. I only say that because ive had multiple issues with gm and cant stand going there for anything. I bring my car to an ls1 performance shop (dez racing) for all my stuff, but if you know of a reputable chevy dealership that you trust then take it to them, just be prepared to pay top dollar to have them check it out. Its tough to tell just from driving it quickly, but try some hard shifts and see if the clutch slips at all or if its tough to get it into gear when driving it hard. That would be a sure sign something is messed up.