Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do SS's have a "tuned suspension" oposed to Z28

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 07:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do SS's have a "tuned suspension" oposed to Z28

I've got a buddy who is pretty smart with cars, say that SS's came with a tuned suspension and that Z28's didn't. I've always believed him but I've never heard anyone on here talk about it. And what exactly is so great about this "tuned suspension". Thanks

Joel
Old 05-20-2006, 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

i believe so
Old 05-20-2006, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

Unless the SS had the optional 1LE suspension, after early 2000 model year the only suspension difference was the SS (and the WS6) had a larger front stabilizer (anti-roll) bar. Prior to that, they got a bit different springs and shocks, but I don't know as I'd go so far as to make it much different than the Z. I believe the minor changes were to match the 17" wheels.

GM stated in their 2002 Camaro sales brochure the SS had "Special Sport Suspension", and a "High Performance Ride and Handling Suspension." That may be where your buddy got his information. The only suspension difference between an SS and a Z28 that year was the larger front roll bar, and 17" wheels.

For a decent suspension on these cars from the factory, you had to go with the 1LE autocross package (1998-1999) on stripper Z28s, or the SLP optioned 1LE in the last couple of years. I had a 1999 1LE ordered, but cancelled it, thinking I could get it later. Much to my regret, they eliminated the option before I ordered my Z in 2001.

Watch this thread. There will be about 20 posters insisting the 2001 and 2002 SS had an upgraded suspension over what is indicated here. When GM exagerates, everybody suffers. Since the brochure and other advertising material is misleading, the only way to verify this is to look at the build sheets, check the springs and shocks on stock cars, or to have somebody like Fbodyfather chime in.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SS's and WS6's did get different shock valving all the way up through 2002, but in the later years they did share the same springs with non-SS and non-WS6 cars.

My 99 SS had 1LE springs, my 02 SS has stock Z28 springs. Both had the revalved shocks, but they still are crappy deCarbons.

There was also a "Bilstein suspension" option on the SS and WS6. It included SLP specced Bilstein shocks and SLP spec Eibach springs- which supposedly drop the car approx. 3/4" inch. Some years this package included a hollow 35mm front swaybar, later years did not get the bigger swaybar. Same 32mm front swaybar as non-Bilstein cars. Z28 Camaros got a 30mm swaybar, I think.

There were rumors that some years of SS and WS6 cars got 1LE bushings (higher durometer rubber) in the LCA's and PHB, but I'm not sure if that is true or not.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:53 PM
On The Tree

Different valves on the deCarbons to go with the wheel change makes sense.

I think SLP did a disservice by doing away with the 1LE springs as standard equipment on the 2000+ cars.

I hadn't heard anything about the bushings, but GM still had stocks of the 1LE LCA's up until the end of production - they put them in the B4C cars that were built near the end of the run. If they were installed on the SSs, it should have shown up on the build sheet (it was a different code on the B4C and the Z).
Old 05-20-2006, 10:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ArrestMeRedZ
I think SLP did a disservice by doing away with the 1LE springs as standard equipment on the 2000+ cars.
I agree, except SLP was not to blame. GM took the SS and WS6 package in-house at this point, no longer sending the cars to SLP for the conversion.

The cars were only then sent on to SLP if SLP exclusive options were ordered, for example: SLP Bilstein suspension, SLP Blackwing intake, SLP exhaust (dual-dual or CME), and upgraded (Auburn) rear differential. I know there were other SLP options, but these were the most significant SLP upgrades.

Last edited by ACW; 05-21-2006 at 02:28 PM. Reason: quote tags
Old 05-29-2006, 07:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you're really looking for suspension, find one of the few 99 SS 1LE's, or one of the three 1998 SS 1LE's like i've got! They make you tinkle on yourself in curves, for fear of flipping. No tire squeal involved
Old 05-29-2006, 08:01 AM

Like said above. larger front sway bar, and options were available for Bilstiens shocks.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:02 AM

It also had a power steering cooler, if you want to count that.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:36 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by BADSS
SS's and WS6's did get different shock valving all the way up through 2002
Personally, I beleive this is a rumor.

I went through this one time with my local dealer. The only suspension related part numbers that were listed differently between my '00 WS6 and my '98 Z28 were the front sway bar + bushings. 30mm for the Z28/Formula/Trans Am, and 32mm for SS/WS6. Granted, I didn't ask them to check every bushing across the whole car, but shocks/springs were the same.

From what I've seen, the only way an SS/WS6 car gets different shocks/springs would be with a 1LE or Bilstein package.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Personally, I beleive this is a rumor.

I went through this one time with my local dealer. The only suspension related part numbers that were listed differently between my '00 WS6 and my '98 Z28 were the front sway bar + bushings. 30mm for the Z28/Formula/Trans Am, and 32mm for SS/WS6. Granted, I didn't ask them to check every bushing across the whole car, but shocks/springs were the same.

From what I've seen, the only way an SS/WS6 car gets different shocks/springs would be with a 1LE or Bilstein package.
Wow. I thought the different shock valving was confirmed and verified- but if the GM part #'s for the SS/WS6 shocks are the same as the non-SS/WS6 V8 cars, you are probably right.

Learn something new every day.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:08 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

all i know is I have alot more body roll in my 2000 z-28 then my moms ws6. i always thought it was because of the ws6 performance suspension, but if its just the swaybar im going to order one right now!!
Old 05-29-2006, 10:17 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by BADSS
Wow. I thought the different shock valving was confirmed and verified- but if the GM part #'s for the SS/WS6 shocks are the same as the non-SS/WS6 V8 cars, you are probably right.

Learn something new every day.
Just curious, how was it confirmed/verified? I'm asking because there is one other possibile explaination I can think of.....

Can't say that I ever actually closely compared the factory assembly line issued shocks on my WS6 to the Z28 (I know for a fact they were both orange colored DeCarbons though, but never compared every marking/stamping). I suppose there is always a chance that originally there was a difference, but it terms of post-assembly replacement parts, there doesn't seem to be a different part number (unless the dealer was wrong?).

I have run across a couple other replacement parts from the GM parts counter that are not 100% exactly the same as the assembly line issued stuff; batteries are a good example....
Old 05-29-2006, 10:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

also, if GM discontinued these parts then they will supercede to the next available PN#
(i.e last available)

like if you try to order a slave cylinder for a 98 then an 02, you will get the same PN#
Old 05-29-2006, 10:40 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by white_camaro
all i know is I have alot more body roll in my 2000 z-28 then my moms ws6. i always thought it was because of the ws6 performance suspension, but if its just the swaybar im going to order one right now!!
Maybe my experiance might help you a bit in this area. Right after buying my current Z28, I noticed that all around it just didn't handle as well as the WS6. I figured it was mostly because of the suspension mods I had on the WS6 (STB, SFCs) while the Z28 was stock, plus obviously the bigger sway bar on the WS6. So I put a STB and the same SFCs on my Z28, but it still just didn't feel the same (again, I'm thinking sway bar).

I had always been under the assumption that the only difference stock was that front sway bar, but that's when I started checking part numbers just to be sure. After finding that shocks/springs seemed to be the same, I just figured it was all in my head.

Then, a few months later I put the 17X9 SS wheels on the Camaro. Talk about an improvment in handling! I never thought it would really make that much difference, but it did in every aspect of driving. At that point it felt just like my WS6, even without the bigger front sway bar.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:43 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by black00TA
also, if GM discontinued these parts then they will supercede to the next available PN#
(i.e last available)

like if you try to order a slave cylinder for a 98 then an 02, you will get the same PN#

Yes, another good example is the rearview mirror. The '98-'00 cars had a different design, which is no longer available. If you order one for a '98 car now, you get the same 'new' design as the '01-'02 cars, plus you need a wiring harness adaptor.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by white_camaro
I picked up one of those sway bars from a WS6 take-off, but haven't installed it yet. I'd like to get the 1998/1999 1LE springs and shocks in a new package, then do the install, along with SFCs and STB.

After RPS WS6's comments, I will have to see how the 17" wheels feel. Hope I don't fall in love with them, though, as I've got 16" wheel and tire packages coming out of my ears.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:58 PM
11 Second Club

My SS is way stiffer than my 2 buddies Z28's of the same years.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:23 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by rtr2001ss
My SS is way stiffer than my 2 buddies Z28's of the same years.
Do they have the same suspension/chassis mods as you? Same wheels/tires? Similar mileage on the suspension? Lots of factors to consider.....
Old 05-29-2006, 02:23 PM
MJK
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Then, a few months later I put the 17X9 SS wheels on the Camaro. Talk about an improvment in handling! I never thought it would really make that much difference, but it did in every aspect of driving. At that point it felt just like my WS6, even without the bigger front sway bar.
I had installed a set of black ZR1s on my SS a while ago and decided to put my old chrome ZR1s on my brother's 98' TA (non-WS6)...I did feel a definate difference as well...Still wasn't as tight as my SS or my old 99' WS6 but,you can definatley feel how the wheels play a role in the over all suspension feel of a WS6/SS....

BTW,my SS is an early 2000 model (December 1999)which handles exactly like my 99' WS6 did...So,at least by the old butt'o'meter,its the "higher content" suspension package.Over all I say there is a DEFINATE difference in the suspension feel bewteen a 98' to early 2000 WS6/SS package and a base Z28 or TA/Formula.

Quick Reply: Do SS's have a "tuned suspension" oposed to Z28