Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 step on M6?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 02:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 443 Likes on 354 Posts

Question 2 step on M6?

I was wondering if there'd be a way to install a 2 step rev limiter on an M6 car so you could floor it on the line and have it rev to a predetermined RPM until you dumped the clutch, so you didn't have to stare at the tach to make sure you launch at the same rpm each time.
Old 05-21-2006, 03:09 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id just put two shift lights in the car, and have one set for the proper rpm's for launch, and one for the shift point, one would always be on at WOT so mount it like above your legs shining down so it just illuminates the floor board when on.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nah just keep it there from the sound. you will get it fine with a little practice
Old 05-22-2006, 12:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Practice...practice...practice.

I wouldnt want something holding my throttle open, cuz its just one more thing to screw up and then there's no telling WTFs going to happen.

Shift light is a great idea, esp if you get one like the Raptor unit that you can mount damn near anywhere. But I dunno of anything out there that'll hold the throttle while you're trying to launch.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:30 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Two-steps are god's gift to the M6. the thread originator is correct, and YES they are great for anyone who has the drivetrain to survive a two-step launch. Only thing i'd like to add is make sure you got enough tire, cause the 2-step hits the tires HARD. Use it once, and i promise you'll never go back. Make sure you got clutch/driveshaft/Torque Arm/rear end/tires BEFORE using a 2-step, or you WILL be going home on a trailer.

There is no need to overcomplicate things with an extra shift light, or try and launch by the sound. that is simply inaccurate, and you'll be getting beat up on by the A4 guys. Leave harder than the A4 guys with a 2-step!
Old 05-22-2006, 09:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 443 Likes on 354 Posts

A 2 step doesn't physically hold the throttle, it cuts spark randomly to hold the RPM at a predetermined level even if you floor the gas. I just wasn't sure if it's possible on a computer controlled vehicle.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

due to the (superior) coilpack ignition setup..you need a two step designed for the LS1..

harlan used to make them.. he was supposed to have a new version out by now... hes having some kidn of delay..

i just got a PM from someone today about a new one coming out from a diffrent company.. waiting on a reply now..

2steps are awsome if you're trying to be consistant... you can just floor it on or just before the first yellow (or when you first stage if you like to hear bang-bang-bang) and you'll always launch at the set RPM...
Old 05-25-2006, 03:59 PM
10 Second Club

Interested in a 2 step as well - is anybody making one for us LSxers yet?
Old 05-25-2006, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm thinking someone needs to make a program for these cars like Honda/Acura has called Hondata. Sorry to reference the ricers, but that is a very good system that you can set in the car that will do "Drag Launch," which is like 2 step,just push in the clutch while stopped in gear and hold it to the floor for a predetermined RPM, "Full Throttle Shift," where you can push in the clutch while still at WOT and it will hold whatever RPM you are at at the time of clutch engagement. I know most of us can powershift with the best of them but this full thrtottle shift thing helps improve tranny life. It also does many other things like VTEC control which is worthless to us, but they also sure have a program for boost and nitrous settings, and its all in one unit.
Anyone else had experience with Hondata?