Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought a Camaro today!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 01:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Bought a Camaro today!

Well after years of saving my summers earnings, i finally got a Camaro. I still cannot believe i have it sitting in my garage and i can say it is mine. This car is so awesome, i finally realize why all of you love the Camaro so much. I got a Red 98, 6 speed, leather, t tops, 110k miles. Its pretty much flawless, a few minor dings, but i think that i got a great deal on it, $7500. It has 18" wheels, and flowmaster exhaust (sounds alright for the time being) The clutch is going out and i will be in need of one soon, what are some recommendations for a clutch? Next year it might be gettin a cam, along with other bolt ons. So i will need a clutch that would hold around 400 rwhp and is streetable would be nice. A new clutch will also fix the notchyness (word?) in the shifting, correct? Its just a little tough finding 3rd sometimes. Other than that it is an awesome car, cruised around all night and im sure all of you know how it is, every single person wants a ride. I will go out and take some pics tomorrow after i clean it up a bit and post them up. Like i said i still cannot believe i own the car of my dreams, a Camaro LS1 6 speed, i dont think i will be able to sleep tonight
Old 06-04-2006, 01:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats man!!! wish I could afford one. Enjoy it, and be careful not kill yourself. You sound a little young(as am I), respect all that power. Got any pics for us? And as for the clutch, I wish I could offer more, but you should do a search. If anything though, I'd say spec III or some ****. But thats just what I see a lot of people run, I don't know too much about aftermarket clutches for the LS1.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I am a youngen, 16, but i respect the almighty LS1 greatly. Over the night i got used to the power and did not get cocky with it at all, because i now know what it can do. I am going to be very careful with my car and keep up with all the maitinance regularly. Ill go get some pics tomorrow As far as clutches, an LS7 clutch seems like it would be alright. Any cammed cars runnin a LS7 clutch with some input?

Last edited by Jakson; 06-04-2006 at 02:02 AM.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:32 AM
TECH Addict

Congrats bro, its a great feeling. There was a pretty nasty thread about Spec 3 in the vette forum you might want to check out. Really any clutch will work, the LS7 will be good.
Old 06-04-2006, 04:26 AM
11 Second Club

16? holy cow they keep getting younger and younger! I was 18 when I got mine.

Congrats man!
Old 06-04-2006, 04:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thumbs up

****, I was 22 or 23, damn years run together now, lol...'course I had a rocking 3rd gen

Congrats man, try not to wad it up and enjoy the hell out of it

I have an auto, so no clue on the clutch, just do a search and you'll get the info you need.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations, picked mine up back on Feb. 13th of 2003. Now my payments are every Valentine's Day (14th.) :p

I was due to pay it off this coming Valentines, but I think I'll pay it off next month... maybe the following.

Enjoy it! If I were to offer you advice, it would most likely be: If you want your car to go fast, build the suspension and drivetrain (including brakes) to handle your expected goal. Don't skimp either. After that, start adding power to the car. Once you got it where you want it, performance wise, mod the appearance.

Easier said than done; but if I had to do it all over again, that's how I'd do it. I would have saved a LOT of money.

Anyhow, good luck!
Old 06-04-2006, 05:33 AM
On The Tree

Congrats,

There are a few threads about SPEC stage III, some good and some bad, I think the Stage III+ is the better of the 2. I'm not sure but there will be plenty of people to help out and chime in. Just ask around they will answer.

Good luck with the car

Old 06-04-2006, 09:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

To answer your question - when my clutch was going out, i had the same problem finding third gear. A new clutch fixed that problem. I got the spec 3, a little 'chatter' at first, but it goes away in a few miles.

And all you young guys with Camaros i hate you. I had to wait till i was 33 till i got mine (bought it new and now its paid off - yea!)
Old 06-04-2006, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Congrats on the car dude....just like mine, 98 and red.....mine's got a little work done to it though. I bought it brand new in 98 with 4 miles on the clock.....I still love it and am still **** about it. I got some more parts in the mail for it as we speak.

My stock clutch actually does quite well with my cam....yeah, still on the original clutch. I am not all that hard on the car, so that obviously helps. But when it does come time for a new clutch, I will get the LS7 clutch.

Other mods you should consider is doing the skip shift mod if it wasn't done already (where the computer forces you to shift from 1st to 4th at low rpms), of course a lid of some sort, change those plugs out, get a LS6 intake and headers before the cam. You might also want to get lower control arms and a better torque arm to handle all the added power. If you still have the stock shifter, replace it with a Ripper shifter or a Pro 5.0. Subframe connectors are a good idea....hell just go through my mod list in my signature one item at a time....lol.

Can't wait to see the pics...
Old 06-04-2006, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

congrats, and enjoy
Old 06-04-2006, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MillaTK
Congrats man!!! wish I could afford one. Enjoy it, and be careful not kill yourself. You sound a little young(as am I), respect all that power. Got any pics for us? And as for the clutch, I wish I could offer more, but you should do a search. If anything though, I'd say spec III or some ****. But thats just what I see a lot of people run, I don't know too much about aftermarket clutches for the LS1.
i would say no to the spec III. it's going to be extremely "notchy" when shifting. they bite very hard.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:41 PM
Launching!

Clutch depends on what your exact future plans are. If you are planning on going for 400rwhp+ I would recommend a rebuild due to the 100K+ mileage. Enjoy!
Old 06-04-2006, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do some research on the clutches. I would not reccomend a Spec...mine was toast after 20k miles and NO track passes.
So far the LS7 is holding up nicely.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:40 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

If I were you, I'd just enjoy the car. Get it running tip top ( new plugs/wires/injectors/clutch/fuel filter, stuff like that ) then get yourself a nice set of wheels and a drop, then maybe a ss hood, and just make it your own. I know what its like to be sixteen with a f-body, and at first all I wanted was to go faster and faster, I was saving money for a NX maf kit actually, but after a few close calls, and one ditch, I had to sit back and really think it over, and then I realized that, it wouldn't be the smartest thing to do. camming your car, and no one cams a car just to drive slow is gonna result in bad things if you ask me. Might cut down on some reliablity as well camming a 100k+ mile car, and its gonna put a dent in your pocketbook for gas as well, no need to turn your 17mpg into a 10mpg car...

Just keep that bitch clean, make it your own, and enjoy it
Old 06-04-2006, 02:52 PM
Banned

Congrats, 6 Speeds are Fun.
The t-56 is a clunky shifting tranny
You can get some things to make it better, and the right clutch will eliminate most of that.
But once you get used to it, you will like it.
I put 45K miles on a nice quick 5speed RWD car, and I didnt master the clutch, I mean TOTALLY master the clutch until I had over 10K miles of experience.

and BTW...
Do NOT get a centerforce clutch.
I friend of mine got one and they are only good for 20-30K at the most. Thats why they are so cheap

Congrats on the car and Enjoy!
Old 06-04-2006, 03:57 PM
TECH Resident

Congrats, I didnt get my car until I was 28......Sweet that you have set a goal and now have your prize.
as for your clutch, LS7 Clutch will work glorious for now. They will hold plenty. I would do as some others suggest, get her running tip top.....then worry about other mod.
If anything start simple, Get a LID, some headers, that right there will wake your car up.....alot....Should free up almost 20-30rwhp? I made the mistake of doing headers, and LID before I took her to a dyno to see what I was putting down before I done the exhaust and LID....BUt I still love what I got and have fun with it.

I too am getting a new clutch, the LS7 is what I going to get until I need more. Then it's the Textralia!!

Have fun with it, make it yours
Old 06-04-2006, 11:38 PM
Staging Lane

Sweet car man, i got mine last december and i was 17 then. We may be young but always respect the car and dont be like some other guys our age that make us look stupid by trying to show off at times when you dont need to. cant wait to see the pic.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Drove it again all day today, man do i love this car. The power and sound of the LS1 is just awesome. The clutch is hanging in there, but i will have to start looking for one soon. For mods, i just want to do a lid, headers, and an ORY and call it good for performance for a while. Spuds you brought up a good point about the whole cam thing, i just wanted to get a cam to sound good and add a few ponies at the same time, without thinking about gas mileage that it would get after it. I didnt get around to taking pics today, it was crappy weather out for a while, and then i took it on a gravel road at 5 mph and it got filthy. Tomarrow morning im going to wash and wax it and go take some pics. This thing looks so mean, i love it. As far as appearance mods, i want to drop it a little maybe around an inch or at least drop the back end down so it sits level. A hood of some sort, probably an SS hood or a nice cowl hood. Maybe some white 35th stripes. I want to get a billet grill with a vintage Z/28 logo as well. Other than that this car is the best, awesome power, good mileage, and its just plain cool. Can anyone explain to me what the buzzing/whining noise from the rear of the car underneath? Its always there when the car is on, some electronical type noise. Also, this car wheelhops like mad, think its from the 18s and low pro tire? Kind of scared me the first time it did it. But im not going to try burning out anymore, not until i get a new clutch and some old tires and rims that i dont care about. These rims are too nice, and the tires are brand new coopers, so i have to make them last me a while. Ive had my fun seeing what the car can do, now im just going to take it easy and just cruise and enjoy it.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmmm...buzzing/whining from the rear? If you'd said only whining I'd say it could be from the rear end or even bad wheel bearings...but a buzzing could indicate an overworked/bad fuel pump, and you seemed to indicate it was an issue even when the car was stationary....couldn't hurt to replace the fuel filter(start with the easy stuff first).

Wheelhop: Wheel/Tire combo can contribute, but you can help it firstly by modulating the throttle/clutch and checking out some of the available suspension mods...search.