New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the engine i tried to buy ended up being junk

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 05:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default somebody lied...................

...............and that somebody was me. just bought the ls1 2 days ago. 110,000 miles,was told engine got hot- probably stacked some crank bearings. I took the oil pan off and could not believe the amount of sludge in it. the oil had been drained previously and what was left... looked like it had been cooking on a stove for about a week. i'm probably going to loose a friend over this,but i am not going to pay 700.00 for this engine.i am too worried about the possibility of block distortion. sorry for wasting everyones time on the forum. i am still going to try and aquire a "decent" ls1,but at this time,it's back to dreaming,as i cannot afford to waste that much money with the high probibility of wasting more. thanks for everyones time & God bless us all.................. Steve Davis
Old 06-05-2006, 06:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry about the shape the motor is in. That's alot of miles for an engine.
And the 98's are notorious for weak rod-bolts and 'ify' oil pumps.
Hawk
Old 06-05-2006, 01:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bummer. I just got rid of an wrecked SS w/58k on it. Engine was perfect, no piston slap, ticks, zero oil use between changes, very strong engine. Was trying to sell off the whole car for $2,500. But I'm out in the middle of nowhere (El Paso), so tough to sell it. Ended up letting the insurance company have it.

Salvage yard is probably going to get 2k for just the engine and accesories. If I had somewhere to store it, I would have kept the car for spare parts for my new Z28.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man that is a crappy deal. I hope you find something else soon for a nice price!