New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Bought 1999 Z28... Few stupid questions...

Old 06-07-2006, 11:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Bought 1999 Z28... Few stupid questions...

Hey guys,

So I just picked up a 1999 Camaro Z28 Automatic, and I have to say, it ranks up there with the best cars I've ever owned... But I have a few DUMB questions to ask...

1. Do all 99 Z's have posi rears? I know this sounds ridiculous, but I did a little burnout in my driveway for a few of my friends with a light powerlock to make it easy on myself, and there was only one mark in the driveway, as if only one tire was spinning... I was under the assumption that it had a posi, or is it that maybe with some brake application, the other tire just didn't spin that much? (my friends were sitting on the spinning side (passenger side)...

2. Window switches/motors/etc. The power windows suck ***. My 96 had much better windows, but I'm wondering what could be the problem. They aren't really that slow, but I have to do them one at a time, and sometimes they just don't even move. And when they do, I feel like I have to jam the switch down to get them moving... Maybe switch replacement? I'm not too sure how to approach this and was wondering if others had experienced the same problems. Thanks so much for your help in advance!
Old 06-07-2006, 11:59 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The window motors wear out over time, You may just not have gotten the tires spinning fast enough, or you may have some differential work ahead of you, yes they are all Posi.(or should be...)
Old 06-08-2006, 10:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

Zs do have posi.
Windows move better and faster when engine is running(higher voltage) as opposed to the lower voltage available when engine is not running.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

all f body power windows are slow, its just something u have to get over.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

ACTUALLY

99-02 LS1 fbodies have a torsen limited slip rear end. They don't have posi's. Only the 98's had a "posi". They will perform the same function although. They just work differently... (don't ask me how... i have no idea!) lol

Check out the FAQ section in the stickies of this forum, it has answers and more to a lot of the common questions we all asked when we bought our fbodies. I konw i still reference it all the time!
Old 06-08-2006, 11:46 AM
Tech Resident

1.) f-body power windows suck. my car has a measly 26,000 miles on it and the passanger side goes down twice as fast as the driver's side because it isn't used nearly as much. you'll have to eventually get the motor(s) replaced and it's like $200 to do it. if you keep the car for another 50,000 miles the motor will probably eventually die on you. don't worry about it, it's a common problem.

2.) your differential may be screwed. i have a 2001 so i also have a limited slip zexel torsen differential. i decided i wanted to test it out so when i was in my grandma's dirt/stone driveway i gave the gas pedal a VERY tiny push - literally a TAP - while i was just rolling with the brake lever out. it left 2 3 foot long tire marks. if you were actually SPINNING and only left one, the worm gear in your posi may be toast and you're officially a one-wheel-wonder just like my old V6. sounds like you may need a new one i'd get that looked at at a shop. but hey, if you need a new one, it's the perfect time to get gears for only $200 more
Old 06-08-2006, 06:49 PM
Teching In

Well thanks for the help guys... I'm going to look into it, and I'll let you know!
Old 06-08-2006, 07:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

When my car had to be moved around in the garage, and had to be taken out in the ice on summer tires to do so, it got stuck, and only one tire was spinning. To check it I have done some spins in my gravel driveway, it left two nice marks. It seems that if you only hit it a little, one tire will spin, and as you get higher into the RPMs the other will start. That's just my experience. Also, I have about 40K on the car and have already replaced both window motors.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:42 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by giant016
It seems that if you only hit it a little, one tire will spin, and as you get higher into the RPMs the other will start.
nah man, i barely even TOUCHED the gas, just enough to barely kick up dust. i left 2 well defined 3 foot long tire marks each of exact equal length and width. his posi is probably screwed. good news is they're like 100 bucks off ebay.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

****, if you broke a stock one once, just wait an extra month or two, and get a 9inch setup... you wont regret that move! leaves the door WIDE open for the future!
Old 06-09-2006, 12:51 AM
Banned

My 5.0 did a 1 wheel peel if I started off and 1 wheel was in a very slick spot vs the other being on solid ground. THis is b/c the differential in a stock car does not have the tq bias to compensate for 1 tire having NO traction and the other hooking. That is Auburn's whole selling point. Anyways, my posi hooks nice and hard on any NORMAL surface or any SLICK surface that BOTH tires are on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just Bought 1999 Z28... Few stupid questions...