New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can my Local GM Dealer install Aftermarket Heads?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 01:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can my Local GM Dealer install Aftermarket Heads?

Just wondering if a local GM garage would install heads on my 98 SS? Don't really want to tackle it myself, do they just do GM parts installs or maybe? Maybe a head and cam swap? Thanks
Old 06-12-2006, 02:01 PM
Import Patrol

Originally Posted by silverta16
Just wondering if a local GM garage would install heads on my 98 SS? Don't really want to tackle it myself, do they just do GM parts installs or maybe? Maybe a head and cam swap? Thanks

From reading the title of this thread. Yes, I am sure the dealer will install heads and cam. But you will get royally **** rapped having them do the work! If don't have a speed shop near you, then for should be able to go to a full service mechanic to do the swap and save alot of money. But I would suggest going with a speed shop instead.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CrawlinWS6
From reading the title of this thread. Yes, I am sure the dealer will install heads and cam. But you will get royally **** rapped having them do the work! If don't have a speed shop near you, then for should be able to go to a full service mechanic to do the swap and save alot of money. But I would suggest going with a speed shop instead.

Ditto.

Are they capable of doing it? Yes, I'm sure they are. Will you pay a premium for their services? You betcha.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:18 PM
FormerVendor

Check with Force Fed High Performance I am not sure how far you are from them but they are a great shop to work with.

Nate
Old 06-12-2006, 02:54 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

call your dealership and ask them the price for doing that, then your local speed shop, then find your local ls1 guru. if you helped him on the weekend you'de probably save enough to do other mods too. start searching theres gotta be someone close to you who does things like that all the time, maybe even one of the tech guys at the dealership driving a modded fbody.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:01 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do it yourself. I ENJOY working on my car, well sometimes........

You might want to try to post in the regional sections or maby do a sponsor search by zipcode.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure the dealer can do it but be prepared to take it up the butt big time! You're better off finding someone local who works on lots of LSx's. Most time these folks will have fixed prices to do heads, cam, long tubes etc. The last thing you want is the dealer just charging you by the hour while an inexperienced tech. cuts his teeth on your car. Add to that the fact that the dealer will typically have the highest hourly rates of any shop in your area and you could get boned big time. If the dealer will give you a flat rate then compare that to a local LSx speciality shop but it's been my expereince that the dealer will give you a ballpark estimate but then charge actual hours.

While I agree doing it yourself is the best way to save the most money and learn something about your car I also understand that not everyone has the tools or ability to tackle such a complicated proceedure as swaping heads.
Good luck to ya!
Old 06-12-2006, 05:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

H/C swap in itself is not hard, just follow instructions on LS1HOWTO.com, its pretty hard to mess it up, but... it IS time consuming, very infact. I'm sure H/C could be done in a day, but if your not used to something like that, set yourself a week.