New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition help...I am going to get new plugs and coils..what else?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ignition help...I am going to get new plugs and coils..what else?

I'm going to be getting MSD Blaster Coils and some new plug wires as well. What I can't decide on is the plugs. Should I get some NGK TR55's or TR55-IX plugs? Other than that, what else should I get ignition wise? I've been looking into an Optima battery. I've been searching around on WS6 Store, as I have gotten just about every mod I have from them. Anything else I should get in their Ignition section? Thanks for all the help. I just want to get rid of the misfires I've been having.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:27 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

I used regular TR55s, they work well.

How many miles on your car? Unless the mileage is really high, I doubt there is anything wrong with your coils.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I used regular TR55s, they work well.

How many miles on your car? Unless the mileage is really high, I doubt there is anything wrong with your coils.
Almost 71k miles. I just want to replace the coils anyways with the MSD blasters. They produce 3 times the spark energy of the stock coils and they deliver multiple sparks to help keep the engine clean at an idle. I have an A4 and when I'm at a stop light, the car is misfiring like a mother with my foot on the brake. If I put it in neutral, it doesn't seem to misfire. Me and my friends installed my full exhaust in April and it's been misfiring ever since. I basically want to replace both the plugs and coils. Other than that, what else should I get for the ignition?
Old 06-18-2006, 11:48 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by 00 SLVR Z
Almost 71k miles. I just want to replace the coils anyways with the MSD blasters. They produce 3 times the spark energy of the stock coils and they deliver multiple sparks to help keep the engine clean at an idle. I have an A4 and when I'm at a stop light, the car is misfiring like a mother with my foot on the brake. If I put it in neutral, it doesn't seem to misfire. Me and my friends installed my full exhaust in April and it's been misfiring ever since. I basically want to replace both the plugs and coils. Other than that, what else should I get for the ignition?
Does it just feel like it's misfiring, or are you actually getting a DTC for it? If you are getting a code, is it just a P0300 random misfire or is it cylinder specific (like P0302, P0303, etc.)? Are you getting any other DTCs?

If it started after the exhaust install, I'd go back over everything you did and double check everything. Make sure plug wires are fully seated and boots in good shape, change plugs incase one became cracked or damaged during the install, check wiring harness going down the passenger side strut tower (making sure the headers haven't burned any wires), check that O2 sensors are fully installed/seated properly, and investigate any DTCs present in the PCM.

IMO, it would suck to spend the cash for new coils and still have the same issue, so I'd check all the simple stuff first.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It basically feels like it's misfiring. When I had my car tuned, I believe it was cylinder #1 and 7 that was showing misfire (or it might have been 2 and 8; I know it was two of the corner cylinders (1, 2, 7, 8). My car dynoed 311 hp and 324 tq and even the tuner thought it was low with my mods (full exhaust, lid). He thought I was 20-30 hp less than what it should be. I dunno what went wrong, but I just assumed it was the misfiring so I was going to change the plugs out along with the stock coils. I was also thinking about getting new o2's, since the factory ones looked like they had been through hell. But I am getting no SES light or anything. I haven't checked yet, but what if part of the wiring harness is burned? Any other suggestions?
Old 06-18-2006, 01:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Afternarket coils are a waste of money unless your stockers are definetely toast.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Change the plugs, TR55s, or delco iridiums (stay far away from bosch plugs), leave the stock coils on there the MSDs are just for appearance (paint yours red if you want red coils), a set of LS2 plug wires would be a nice addition, tho if there is nothing wrong with the stockers you can reuse them
If the o2 wiring is toast, replace with a pair of bosch 13111 vette rear o2 sensors, if the wires look ok then leave them alone
Start with the cheapest/easiest thing first (plugs), then if that doesn't solve the problem, continue up from there (wires then coils, then o2s)
IMO it's the plugs, or wires, you hit one/cracked the porcelain on the plug when you installed the headers, or the wire is sitting on the header and has burnt thru
BTW make sure the wires are tightly connected to the plugs and coils, that's another simple thing to check