Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bought a 98 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 08:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bought a 98 Z28

Bought it about 6 weeks ago and haven't stopped working on it,lol. Its white with a A4, (wish i could have found a 6 speed) 2.73 gears,pretty much stock but that will change as the check book will allow. Already swapped in edelbrock adjustable coilovers, new fan shroud,stereo head unit,removed the ugly body kit and swapped a guy for some stock rims and tires. Removed the AIR pump and replaced a bunch of plastic stuff under the car. I bought it as a project car so i expect to put alot of time into it. As soon as i find a pass. side door speaker i will put it all back together and drive the heck out of it. Oh ya, replaced the drivers side lower control arm and put new ball joints and tierod end on it. I do everything myself to save money but the paint will go to someone with some knowledge and talent. I will post some pics from work next week where i have dsl. dail up at the house here is not good for uploading pics,lol.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats.

Now, get a torque converter!
Old 07-29-2006, 09:51 PM
Staging Lane

Help some of us that don't know much and do some write ups of some of your mods. I know I will greatly aprreciate it. Good luck with your project car.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
Congrats.

Now, get a torque converter!
How does a convertor like yours affect everyday street drivability? Do you have to rack the rpms up more to get it to go? I dont know much about them.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by michigan2500hd
How does a convertor like yours affect everyday street drivability? Do you have to rack the rpms up more to get it to go? I dont know much about them.
Search the automatic transmission section.

It can roughly be compared to slipping the clutch more while taking off in a manual. It does not hurt drivability at all. If you wanted to yo could daily drive on a Yan PT4400 stall speed converter (some have).

It does two things when putting around:

Higher RPM to get moving. This isn't very noticeable at extremely light throttle inputs as you would get in a parking/parking lot situation but when accelerating to the speed of traffic you will turn more RPM. When I had a 3500 stall speed converter accelerating with traffic on a highway would see constant 2,500 rpm. Now that I havea 4k stall I see 3k rpm matching traffic on the highway. When I say matching traffic I mean matching the quickest traffic out there. If I start in the first position leaving a light I will keep everybody behind me, maybe gain some ground, most times turning those RPM levels.

The other things it does you will notice is that the RPMs remain pretty constant. Because of the slipping you will not, when driving relatively slow, hear a rise and fall of the engine speed and exhaust note. It sounds more like a continuously variable transmission that maintains one engine speed, even through gear changes.

Once the converter locks up it is exactly like stock. Highway and interstate gas mileage is unchanged because of this.

The upside is that when you hit the gas you are immediately in the powerband. On average a torque converter will drop 0.5 from your 1/4 miles ET and make the car feel much, much more fun and responsive to drive. The auto is no longer a slushbox, per say, when you have a good converter.

It is the single most important modification for an auto (A4) and will give a greater performance boost than any other single modification short of a power adder.