Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Limited-Slip on/off button?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 12:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Limited-Slip on/off button?!?!

Hey guys great site, a lot of good info on here.

I just bought my first LS1, a '99 SS Camaro M6sweeeet!!!! Anyways, the guy I'm buying it from told me that it has a button on the dash that turns the limited-slip "on" or "off". Is this true? I read on here that '99+ came with the Zexel Torsen differential, but I never heard off a button that enables or disables the limited-slip.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:54 AM
12 Second Club

haha...its traction control. It says, "ASR" on it right?? I doubt that guy had an air locker installed. By the way, welcome aboard!!!
Old 07-31-2006, 07:32 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nseldy
Hey guys great site, a lot of good info on here.

I just bought my first LS1, a '99 SS Camaro M6sweeeet!!!! Anyways, the guy I'm buying it from told me that it has a button on the dash that turns the limited-slip "on" or "off". Is this true? I read on here that '99+ came with the Zexel Torsen differential, but I never heard off a button that enables or disables the limited-slip.
all that does is push up the gas pedal when you lose traction. i think it also decreases timing since i feel a lot slower with it on than off. you can't disable the limited slip...unless do blow it up, which happens every once in a while. you got an M6, you might find out
Old 07-31-2006, 08:24 AM
12 Second Club

its prolly the button next to the one that activates the muffler bearing which power the ejecto seat cuz!!!!
Old 07-31-2006, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

ha, yea I agree...

I know the car does have "Traction Control" so that's what I figured the button was, but the seller said, "no, it's turns the limited-slip differential on and off." I'm guessing he meant to say "traction control" instead said limited-slip. thanks guys
Old 08-01-2006, 08:44 AM
TECH Resident

you can't disable the limited slip...unless do blow it up, which happens every once in a while. you got an M6, you might find out

You just LOVE bashing M6's dont you?

I think almost every thread I read, you have something negative to say about the t56, and you love your 4 speed slushbox. Get a life, stop bashing.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Specialized
You just LOVE bashing M6's dont you?

I think almost every thread I read, you have something negative to say about the t56, and you love your 4 speed slushbox. Get a life, stop bashing.
Wow 4 speed slushbox, that makes you a hypocrite doesn't it?
He wasn't bashing, don't be so sensetive, your transmission is just fine, don't worry.

And I don't know what you guys are talking about, I can turn my limited slip on and off whenever I want to, and my ls1 turns 4 cylinders off when Im cruising, saves on gas..
Old 08-02-2006, 08:37 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BigDaddyZ28
That button is the ASR button. Automatic Slip Regulation.

It works using the PCM and the many sensors around your car to tell when 1 or more wheels are 'slipping' and it can both cut spark to some of the cyl's (to reduce engine power) and apply the brakes to stop the spinning wheel or wheels...

It does nothing to affect your timing, and it can be turned off with the button...

I hope this helped some, I feel bad that so many guys were trying to help you out, but obviously many of them NEED to buy a real GM manual for their cars (and READ it).

Why bother to give advice if you are just 'guessing' anyway?
WTF? i know you dont mean all the posts above are worthless...maybe some of them
Old 08-02-2006, 08:24 PM
Staging Lane

hey seriously im sure thats what he was talking about was the ASR button. but dosent Aubern have an electronic locker out now. likely not but it is possible that he has one of these?
Old 08-02-2006, 08:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I removed the relay from the fuse box for ASR. I got sick of shutting it off. FYI, SLP sells something that changes its default to off rather than on when you turn on the car.

ASR is most useful if driving on black ice or when ur car hydroplanes. Dry pavement its not so handy, unless you want to do a pathetic burnout.

The diff is purely mechanical.

Brian
Old 08-02-2006, 08:34 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by novi2000
hey seriously im sure thats what he was talking about was the ASR button. but dosent Aubern have an electronic locker out now. likely not but it is possible that he has one of these?
Yeah I suppose that is possible, though unlikely and that isn't the way they are intended to used (just on or off) but there will be e-diffs soon on GM cars. They will just have electronically actually clutches rather than mechanical.

Here is the auburn e-diff info.

http://www.auburngear.com/oemdifferentials/ected/

Brian

Last edited by 00PewterSS; 08-02-2006 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:10 PM
12 Second Club

The SLP stuff is an overpriced resistor. A waste of $$$ IMHO.

ASR helps on WET roads as well as dry... Saved me from 'stupidity' a few times.

also saved my *** a few times too. And i just wanted to mention, i looked through the lastest Demo version in EFI Live tonite and it has a tab under "ASR" It actually pulls helatious timing to cut power in conjuction with the above mentioned stuff by BigDaddy. And no, i am not talking about Torque Management, the ASR function actually pulls a big *** amount of timing depending on RPMs and stuff to cut back on wheelspin. I Tought that was cool that you can **** with that through tuning.

And 00Pewter SS, so everything will work fine if you just remove the relay for ASR from the fuse box?? i will do this at the track then cause i hate stop/starting the car, then going to the burnout box and forgetting to press the button each time haha.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:06 PM
12 Second Club

In a manual I depress the clutch to save myself when the stupidity gets outta hand.

I yanked the relay a year ago and don't see any problems. ABS etc functions normally (as far as I know). The ASR light on the dash will be on all the time. I don't know how the SLP thing works, it isn't just a resistor cause you can still turn on ASR, it just defaults it to off when you start the car instead of on.

And yeah ASR pulls spark timing and I believe it will also hit the brakes if the tire spin continues. Some systems do one or the other or both, I don't know which ours has.

Brian
Old 08-03-2006, 01:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 00PewterSS
In a manual I depress the clutch to save myself when the stupidity gets outta hand.

I yanked the relay a year ago and don't see any problems. ABS etc functions normally (as far as I know). The ASR light on the dash will be on all the time. I don't know how the SLP thing works, it isn't just a resistor cause you can still turn on ASR, it just defaults it to off when you start the car instead of on.

And yeah ASR pulls spark timing and I believe it will also hit the brakes if the tire spin continues. Some systems do one or the other or both, I don't know which ours has.

Brian
its probably a relay of some sort.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good luck with the SEARCH button friends...

All this 'guessing' has me saying, "Bye..."
Old 08-03-2006, 09:16 PM
12 Second Club

Good luck with the SEARCH button friends...

All this 'guessing' has me saying, "Bye..."
Hey, I hope you didn't take offense to anything. Your info was very informative and I think helped clarify to the poster. Your own post you said you welcomed any other info.

Anyway, I apolize if you took anything I posted as offensive, it is hard to read someones intentions on a board.

Brian