Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C system failure/leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C system failure/leak

Greetings. I just picked up a 98 Z28 LS1 and 2years ago when the previous owner bought it had the R134 and SAG topped off.
Well, he decided to remove the belt and it has been off for 2 years until I put it on. I instantly found out that the clutch is noisy, but it still functions.
I refilled the R134 (w/one can of UV), and it blew a little cold, but nothing to write home about. It then proceeded to leak down to nothing within 48hrs.

Now I am assuming that the compressor is the problem with its history, but I want to ask the boards opinion, and also check the system.

What is the best way to check the system for leaks, and how likely is the compressor to be bad (before I drop the bucks to replace it)?

Thanks

Jason
Old 08-01-2006, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my Z28 last year and the a/c was never stellar, and quit forthwith. I replaced the compressor (w/clutch), accumulator, and orifice tube. I then got it vacuumed & recharged at a shop.

This year it leaked down and became inop. Had to get the high pressure hose replaced.

If your system has been discharged for a while the dessicant in the accumulator gets saturated. It would take longer for the moisture to be removed than is normally provided in the standard vacuum schedule. Moisture can make the dessicant package swell and, possibly, break. That would lead to dessicant floating through your system. Might be better to replace it up front. They don't cost all that much and you can replace the orifice tube while it's open. Be sure you replace seals/o-rings as required when you open it up.

The shop can check your compressor. If it's failed you would likely be able to see the evidence in the orifice tube as you replace it ($5) with the accumulator.

There could be problems with the hoses.

There could be a bad o-ring at a connection.

Since mine was an unknown quantity when I got it, I went ahead and prepped it for the coming years by replacing what I could and doing as much work as I could myself.

Good luck...