New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to site and Camaro/Firebirds. Got some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 06:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to site and Camaro/Firebirds. Got some questions.

I've been a long time 5.0 Mustang owner and had been in the market for awhile now because my old 5.0 isn't what it used to be and ready for something else. I thaught forever that I was going to but 03/04 Cobra until I realized how unreliable and ugly they are. My 5.0 is always in need of new parts and more wrenching than I would like to do anymore and from what I see the Cobras aren't much better. So my alternative was to buy a Camaro/Firebird and I found a really nice 02 WS6 for $18,000 with 16k on it but when I went to look at it someone else already bought it. Now I'm trying to get this 02 White SS with about 20k. They haven't came up with their price yet but I know this was very babied and taken care of. A mid 40's couple owns it and barely drives at all. I'm just wondering is there anything I should know about these cars before I get this one(recalls, normal problems, etc.) I just want a somewhat fast car that gets around 25 mpg on the highway and is reliable and confortable. My old 5.0 feels like I'm bouncing around in a red rider wagon. I hate Ford ride quality among other Ford downfalls like bad gas mileage for no reason. Atleast GM V8s get half again better than Fords on gas.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I wouldn't necessarily say our cars are the most reliable. I mean, they are GM's However, I do believe they are better bang for the buck than the Ford Mustang/Cobra and I'm sure you will be happy with whichever route you go - Firebird or Camaro. These cars are fast for the money and there are countless things you can do to/with them. Keep us updated on the price and possibly pics if you can get any.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:21 PM
On The Tree

sounds like your making a great decision by going w/ gm. lol. good luck w/ your purchase and I think you'll be satisfies w/ pontiac or chevy
Old 08-13-2006, 08:41 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Welcome to the site on a side note!
Old 08-13-2006, 10:33 PM
Staging Lane

This car will be the newest and nicist of my quicker cars and really excited about the fact that I won't spend half time driving and half wrenching. All the Mustangs I had made want to just torch them and walk away. I think Ford makes a cheap, weak, and pathetic product anymore. I can't believe people complain about Z06s being $75,000 when they run head to head with Fords $200,000 car. For that price diff. I'd take a Z06 anyday.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FORD KILLER
This car will be the newest and nicist of my quicker cars and really excited about the fact that I won't spend half time driving and half wrenching. All the Mustangs I had made want to just torch them and walk away. I think Ford makes a cheap, weak, and pathetic product anymore. I can't believe people complain about Z06s being $75,000 when they run head to head with Fords $200,000 car. For that price diff. I'd take a Z06 anyday.
ahhh the refreshing voice of reason
Old 08-14-2006, 01:22 AM
TECH Resident

so quick to bash on what you once loved....funny
Old 08-14-2006, 02:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

one recall that the bulliton board thing taht i do remember was the sail panel's paint would somtimes bubble up cuss of the heat...other than that not really any recalls or things like that
Old 08-14-2006, 03:31 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
Well, I wouldn't necessarily say our cars are the most reliable. I mean, they are GM's However, I do believe they are better bang for the buck than the Ford Mustang/Cobra and I'm sure you will be happy with whichever route you go - Firebird or Camaro. These cars are fast for the money and there are countless things you can do to/with them. Keep us updated on the price and possibly pics if you can get any.
what u talkin' 'bout? not very reliable? we have a VERY reliable car. our cars have very few downfalls:

-10-bolt rear, but only a real issue in an M6 or heavily modded A4
-the 4L60E A4 tranny
-power window motors

those are the only real problems these cars have, and power window motors can be replaced in an hour for $40. and yea the driveshafts aren't the best but they take 20 minutes to replace, 5 minutes if you have access to a lift.

these engines are awesome, we have an extremely ridgid and sturdy frame, and they are relatively easy to work on compared to most new V8's, not to mention they're like the easiest cars ever made to put a subwoofer in. all hail the f-body
Old 08-15-2006, 07:13 PM
Teching In

the motor in the SS will easily last you past 150k....if not beaten too hard!! so that part of the car is reliable!
Old 08-15-2006, 11:29 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by SSprayd
the motor in the SS will easily last you past 150k....if not beaten too hard!! so that part of the car is reliable!

You know that they are all the same motor basically?
Old 08-16-2006, 06:28 PM
Teching In

The interior door panels also have a tendency to crack along the upper edge that attaches near the window. I've never broken one myself so I don't know how they break (hammer hands , sunlight and age, really heavy people) but they can be easily plasticwelded back together.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:42 PM
Rehab is for quitters...

Originally Posted by SSprayd
Man, I'm screwed...I only have the Z28 motor. Damn!