Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TA thats been sitting

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 07:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TA thats been sitting

I just bought a 2002 TA that only has 7000 miles on the odometer.I've noticed that the oil was a quart low and I'm gettting a slight ticking.The guy I got it from said he changed the oil twice in the 7000 miles.But hasn't driven the car much in the past year.Does oil loseit's volosity if sets to long? Mike
Old 08-16-2006, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rumor has it that they (most) use oil. I have 11,000 on my hawk with no oil consumption. But I have not run mine hard. I bought the hawk with 325 miles on it so I watch closely. The guy I bought it from had records of 3 oil changes. Maybe you have his records of the oil changes, make sure he was putting in the proper amount, you never know.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you got a real clean car with that low of milage. Good catch.

Do an oil change asap, anyway. You don't really know what the guy's been doing. All you have is his word.

You can search this site for oil related information. There's a lot. People trumpet their choice of oil like they have God's backing. Check out Bobistheoilguy.com for some really good info. Especially if you are newbie to cars/oil.

Personally, I use 5w-40 Mobil 1. They aren't distributing anywhere near me due to marketing changes, but I hope to get more soon. I still have about 30 qts left. You could use any good REAL synthetic oil in a 5w-30 or 10w-30. Mobil 1 you would want something in an Xw-40. Not sure if you made a typo, but the word is viscosity.

And keep your oil at the full mark. There is likely to be a little ticking any time with the LS1, but a quart low is sloppy maintenance.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the Clean and low mileage car.. I am jealous of the mileage