New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newb with a tech question about early LS1 blocks...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 09:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb with a tech question about early LS1 blocks...

Hey all. Ive got an LS1 longblock that i plan on installing in my '98 S10. I have determined by the casting number that it is a 98 block. The casting number is 12562174. from what ive recently been reading, the 97-early 99 blocks are weaker than later blocks, due to a oil pasage that allows the crankcase to breath better.

couple of questions...

how far can i push this block? i was thinking of a nitrous cam, polishing the heads, 3 angle valvejob, and a 200 shot of nitrous. would this be too much? i know its hard to say without specifics on the cam, but im aiming for 600 crank hp on spray.

also, are there modifications i can do to the block to make it stronger if 600bhp isnt possible. can i have the passage machined into the block?

I was contumplating turbocharging it down the road, but i dont want to blow it up.

thanks for any help!
Old 08-20-2006, 01:28 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1-ZQ8
also, are there modifications i can do to the block to make it stronger if 600bhp isnt possible. can i have the passage machined into the block?

how far can i push this block? i was thinking of a nitrous cam, polishing the heads, 3 angle valvejob, and a 200 shot of nitrous. would this be too much? i know its hard to say without specifics on the cam, but im aiming for 600 crank hp on spray.
You can have the block sleeved to make it stronger, but that comes with a hefty price of several thousand dollars.

You should be alright to get 600 fwhp out of that block no problem. Your weak point will be the pistons and rod bolts. The crank can take up to 1200 rwhp so that isnt an issue at all. Lots of people make 500-700 all day at the crank on higher mileage motors with no problems.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. and im jealous of your car. i wanted a hugger SS since i saw one in 99.