Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pinging problem NOT MOTOR MOUNT PROBS:(

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 07:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pinging problem NOT MOTOR MOUNT PROBS:(

Well I finally had a chance to take in my Trans Am to get checked out at the dealership (still under warranty till march 07), anyways I was having a weird noise everytime I would give it gas it would do a cliking/clacking weird noise.

So figures they were busy and I todl them I wanted a specific mechanic working on on my car who also works on my families rides as well. They said he was very busy! so I told them I'd be back then and they said well we can get you another person and you two can go for a ride and see whats going on and take it from there. So stupid me I said yes so we go for a drive and I show this MORON the problem with the car and he righ away says ohh sounds to me like the motor mounts are lose I said are you 100% sure that's the problem, he's like 99.9% , he then says let's go back to the shop and I'll tighten them up so I said sure. so we did and I watched the whole time. they were pretty damn tight I think he turned them a 1/4 of a turn I think he said. Anyways that wasn't the fricken problem ,So I went back and wasn't pleased at all, but then I saw the guy who normally works on my car was free at the time so I explained to him and showed him and he's like ya you got pinging issues , I guess the 91 octane wasn't good enough so I run 94 octane now and the problem is gone

my question is , the retard who tightened the motor mounts as tight as he could , is that bad? like do they have to be torqued properly? are they over tightened now?

I'm worried with problems down the road cuz of that moron
Old 08-25-2006, 12:09 PM
Launching!

Anybody?
Old 08-25-2006, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't know about the motor mounts... But you shouldn't be pinging on 91 Maybe a tune is in order?
Old 08-25-2006, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't sweat it. Unless he used a big breaker bar or air to tighten them down your O.K.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:51 PM
Launching!

Well he used a wrench with a long bar on the end of it to really reef on it, I think he only got a 1/4 turn out of one of em
Old 08-26-2006, 02:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's possible that you have carbon deposits in your combustion chamber, causing hot spots and detonation (pinging). I would run some seafoam through your motor to clean it up. It's cheap, you can do it yourself and people have stellar results with it.....here's how: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/534376-how-seafoam-your-car.html
Old 08-27-2006, 01:35 AM
Launching!

do u have headers cuz thats what mine does and its just headers tappin the k-member
Old 08-27-2006, 03:57 PM
Launching!

I said the pinging problems were solved all I'm worried about is that mechanic who tightened my motor mounts, for no reason, are they over tightened now? will I have problems down the road?
Old 08-27-2006, 04:58 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
It's possible that you have carbon deposits in your combustion chamber, causing hot spots and detonation (pinging). I would run some seafoam through your motor to clean it up. It's cheap, you can do it yourself and people have stellar results with it.....here's how: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534376
my man, i was just gonna recommend that of course

the pinging will likely lessen or possibly go away completely after seafoaming. carbon deposits accumulated on pistons will up the compression in the motor. seafoaming will almost be like a piston shave, only back to stock size and compression. you may be fine afterwards.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:33 PM
Launching!

..... the pinging issues are fixed!!!!!, plus the car only has 3300 miles now, bought with 593miles.

MY QUESTION IS the "mechanic" who tightened the motor mounts a little more, when they wern't loose at all, will I have problems dow the road from being over tightened? arn't they suppose to be torqued to a specific lbs?
Old 08-28-2006, 08:57 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KevsLS1
..... the pinging issues are fixed!!!!!, plus the car only has 3300 miles now, bought with 593miles.

MY QUESTION IS the "mechanic" who tightened the motor mounts a little more, when they wern't loose at all, will I have problems dow the road from being over tightened? arn't they suppose to be torqued to a specific lbs?
the pinging issues aren't fixed. you are just putting a band aid on them by using 94 octane. it's like getting herpes and taking valtrex. yea, it's suppressed but it's still there and one day it may break out again and start pinging on 94.

to answer your question, maybe. how tight is tight? too tight is never good. things can crack because they are brittle and absorb all the shock. we can't tell if they're overtorqued. only you can by getting under there.