New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

good aftermarket warranty company?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default good aftermarket warranty company?

I am spending way too much money on my camaro I just bought from a private seller. I need some advice because my research is not helping me make any decisions. Anyone have a good company they deal with?
Old 09-03-2006, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually talked to 3 extended warranty compainies, and decided to get my ext warranty thru the dealership where the Hawk was ordered from. It cost about $50 bucks more but after I did a search and read up on them, I decided if something goes wrong I didn't want any hassles with a warranty company vs a dealership, or side shop. Since work is based on how long it is supposed to take then the techs at the dealership can't make excuses, and any warranty work I only want the tech at the pontiac dealership to work on. I guess I will call it peace of mind. I am sure there are alot of companies out there but I prefer to go thru the dealership. I actually went to a Pontiac dealership 1 mile from my house and long story short, the lady said she didn't know of a ext warranty that had no deductible. I was going to do a search for you but my computer won't let me do a search without timing out everytime. My decision was also based on what the firehawk.org guys went thru at the time when I bought the car. Hope this helps. Mike
Old 09-03-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

aftermarket warranties are garbage...usually. Your better off just putting money away every month just in case something happens. I had a warranty through gm. It was their major guard plus program... trying to get them to work on my car when somethign was wrong was like fema trying to help new orleans last year during the hurricane. They'd always try to deny it, then I'd have to yell..then they would go back and fix it finally after taking my car for days. READ THE FINE PRINT. On top of that, i had stuff fail, but all of it never equaled the amount i originally spend on the warranty.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wanted to get a warranty from the dealer but they want 2400.00. I don't have that kind of money for sure. I just had to have 2 seals replaced and now they think it is something else that is leaking and maybe they were wrong the first time. I can't afford lots of guessing. It is that way every where I go.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:43 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds like you are just dealing with a bunch of idiots.

I agree, an extended warranty is not worth the cost - especially since they will often leave you hanging, and you'll have to pay a deductible every time.

If they charged you to replace 2 seals and it's still leaking - that's their problem. They should have fixed it right the first time and you should not be paying for them to 'guess' at a problem. Time to stand up for yourself and let them know you're not going to be taken for a ride.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by keliente
Sounds like you are just dealing with a bunch of idiots.

I agree, an extended warranty is not worth the cost - especially since they will often leave you hanging, and you'll have to pay a deductible every time.

If they charged you to replace 2 seals and it's still leaking - that's their problem. They should have fixed it right the first time and you should not be paying for them to 'guess' at a problem. Time to stand up for yourself and let them know you're not going to be taken for a ride.
exactly. I had lots of that ****..well..we're not sure what it is..we'll do this, but if it does't work..then you'd ahve to pay the deductiable again. Then I'd have to go bitch out the service manager to get it done right. I think they should pay you for the warranty for the **** you have to do to get them to do the work.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chevygirl
I wanted to get a warranty from the dealer but they want 2400.00. I don't have that kind of money for sure. I just had to have 2 seals replaced and now they think it is something else that is leaking and maybe they were wrong the first time. I can't afford lots of guessing. It is that way every where I go.
I didn't have to pay that kind of price, maybe it is where I live. I got one that has no deductable, you are dealing with idiots in some cases and service writers who love to take advantage of people to get more money. I have been dealing with dealers, and side shops for over 28 years. Sure I have had problems but I don't play games with them. I deal with them alot with my job. Sounds like you're dealing with some idiots. You are going to have to deal with the pros and cons of a warranty, and make your own decision. Good luck.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I let them know on the phone when I bring my car back I can't keep paying for leaks. Especially when it was suppose to be right the first time. I guess I will see where I get. I have alot of problems because I am a girl too. They talk down to you or expect me to say okay to whatever. You guys on this site help me understand the stuff I don't know about on my car so I am better equiped to deal.

Kieliente, you have been a help in the past to me too.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:58 PM
TECH Resident

From my experience in the automotive field if a seal was installed and it still leaks, they need to re-do it right because that seal was installed wrong or damaged during installation. Seals rarely go bad from the factory.

Ext Warranty companies can be garbage and can be helpful. I see it 50/50 working for a dealership. When it comes to a performance car, you are better off not getting one.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ive always gone with GMPP with a 0 ded. ive had good experiences with dealers covering me for the most part. remember extended warranties prices are negotiable.

this sounds like a shitty dealer to me.