Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

-Need Help-

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 04:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default -Need Help-

Im trying to figure out what I should buy, my plans for now are to set up a 100-150 shot and my future forsees a turbo setup maybe twins. Now I dont want to have to buy parts twice, so what would be some good parts to start me in the right direction? Meaning bolt ons not turbo parts.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:14 AM
TECH Veteran

If you plan on a power adder in the future you are going to need to beef up your internals, fuel system, and rear end.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

How soon and how serious about a turbo application. If you plan twins then I assume you would be aiming at BIG power and BIG $$$$.

In reality a lot of bolt ons don't always work well with other mods. Looking at your user name I assume you have a 01 WS6?

Is it auto or manual?

Do you have any mods already?

what is the intent with the car?

Buying things like LT's would be a waste because come turbo time you'd have to chuck them out, same may go for pulleys and other mods.

Chassis, suspension and brakes - these all can be upgraded. Check out Sam Strano @ Stano Parts and UMI Performance ---> both sponsers for these things. Thunder Racing do a nice brake kit.

You'll probably want to upgrade the rear, 12 bolt or 9". If you're a auto you'll want a stall, shiftkit and tranny cooler. Or maybe even a built tranny depending on HP goals. The stall would vary in n/a to turbo setup, so again you could just be wasting money unless you plan ahead.

As for the engine, well you could go FAST intake and 90mm TB, great for n/a but inreality the LS6 intake and stock ported TB work very well on boosted applications. You then have the exhaust to consider, a Y pipe may not cut it. Duals might be the answer, but if you want a body mounted torque arm it may prove problematic. A lid and CAI won't be needed for a turbo so again a waste to buy.

Turbo will require a whole new fuel system - pump & injectors. But there's little point in running them on a n/a setup as it'll mess the fueling up and be real hard to tune without the turbo.

The engine itself is not indestructable. Forged internals are a great idea for boost, also with a turbo you'd be better off dropping the CR, but this would be bad for a n/a application. But at this stage you have start looking and saying would a larger displacement engine be a better bet, like a 402 or 408ci and build it up for it's intended use.

In all lots of $$$$$$$$$$ required.

A simlpe budget h/c or cammed LS1 can make great power for far less money.

Induction - lid, ported TB, LS6 intake (01's have this intake) - cost $100
Exhaust - LT's ORY or catted Y and catback - can be done for ~$1000
TSP MS4 or V3 cam and PRC Stage 1 heads plus install bits - under $2000
Tune - ~$500

Auto's would want a stall - ~$500

All in a pretty streetable car if a little wild and 430-450rwhp potential. Suspension could probably do a few upgrades though.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:25 AM
Staging Lane

I would do the rear first. Learn from my mistakes.