Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help - high idle, w'ont start

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 09:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help - high idle, w'ont start

Starts okay with engine coolant temperature gage reading normal and normal idle, after a few minutes driving ECT gage drops down to the peg at zero, and idles between 1500 and 2000 when coming to a stop. Eventually idle drops down if I sit for a couple of minutes at a stop.

Checked ECT sensor, and see no obvious signs of damge, connection is good, wire harness looks okay.

This morning on a warm start ECT gage started out on the zero peg and car wouldn't start. (normally starts at touch of ignition) Got it to start by flooring gas pedal. Ran like ****. Had to keep the revs up or it would stall, and was missing when accelerating.

Bought the car about a month ago. Only change I made was to put cats on so I could pass emmissions test (prevous ownder had cats bored out).

Should I change the ECT sensor? Is it possible the cats are blocked? Do you have any suggestions?
Old 09-16-2006, 10:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't had this problem on my 99, but I did have it on the 89 Camaro I used to have and the symptoms were the same. Coolant temp sensors should be cheap anyway.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What did you do to fix your '89......change the ECT sensor?
Old 09-16-2006, 10:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah.