Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 10:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Won't Start

I went out this morning tried to start the car and nothing happened. Last night the car started with out a problem. I know it’s not a battery problem because there is 12.5 volts across the battery and the radio and lights work fine. When I turn the key gauges drop like normal and everything but the starter dose not do anything. It is just as if I had turned the key without pushing the clutch in. I can think of two things that it could be ether the starter went dead or the switch on the clutch stopped working. Can anyone advise me on where to look at this switch or how to tell if it is bad? Or maybe that it is just the starter and just to replace that. Oh and the car is a 99 Camaro SS

Thanks,
Adam
Old 09-30-2006, 10:36 AM
11 Second Club

Get under there with a hammer and tap on the starter a few times, if that doesn't work it's probably the clutch position switch.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

No luck, car is still dead. What is involved in replacing the clutch position switch? I see some sort of control box next to the clutch petal. I am assuming this is it. Do I just pull it out and put the new one in?

Thanks,
Adam
Old 09-30-2006, 10:49 AM
11 Second Club

I dont have an M6 fbody, or an fbody at all yet. And I don't know what it is or what it's called on these cars.

Look for anything that comes in contact with the clutch pedal at full depression. I would be a lot more help if I could walk outside and look for myself.. but I can't
Old 09-30-2006, 10:51 AM
11 Second Club

Also another thing to check is that all of your electrical connections are sound. Wiggle the wires on the starter and make sure they are tight and corrosion free. Also check the battery terminals and make sure they are tight and corrosion free, a starter draws a lot of amps. There may be a fuse inline with the starter or in your engine fuse box, I'm not for sure if there is or where it would be but check that also.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:55 AM
On The Tree

There is not a fuse in the box for the starter but there is a relay. I pulled it out and it looked fine but I am not sure how you tell if you have a bad relay or not. I will go check the wires on the starter now but I know the battery is fine it was the first thing I checked.

Thanks,
Adam
Old 09-30-2006, 11:00 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Lukin
There is not a fuse in the box for the starter but there is a relay. I pulled it out and it looked fine but I am not sure how you tell if you have a bad relay or not. I will go check the wires on the starter now but I know the battery is fine it was the first thing I checked.

Thanks,
Adam
Maybe someone else will be able to help you out, I'm just having to base off what I've seen/done in the past. Hope ya get it figured out
Old 09-30-2006, 11:08 AM
On The Tree

Ok thanks for trying. I went back and looked at the fuse box again and there is a fuse for the starter. But it was not bad. Anyone else?

Adam
Old 09-30-2006, 11:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the security light flashing, it might be the resistor in the key, its gotten dirty and the sensor in the ignition switch isn't reading it, might try another ignition key if you have one, or clean the chip in the key with some alcohol and a Q tip
Old 09-30-2006, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

Tried a different key. Still did not start and the security light is not flashing.

Thanks,
Adam
Old 09-30-2006, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

Push Start the car and clean your Key with a bit of wd40 .... before you go look at the parts ... are you the original owner ... is there an aftermarket alarm?
12.5 voltage is not a good test as amps may be lacking can you put down an electric window? ... I would pushstart to get it running, let it run a bit (drive somewhere) don't shut it off unless you are somewhere like home ... then see what ya have

if you a meter we can tell you what wires to probe to see if it is your starter is getting juice or not
Old 09-30-2006, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

when the battery cables come off the battery where they kind of dip down towards the engine, pull up on them or move them around while a friend tries to start the car. I had a cable or ground that was loose at one point and I had this exact problem, mostly happened when it rained.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

Why should I try and push start the car? To push start I get someone to push the car and pop the clutch in first rite? Cleaned the key still no luck. I am not the original owner of the car but I have had it for 3 years and 30,000 miles. No aftermarket alarm.

Thanks,
Adam
Old 09-30-2006, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

Check the clutch switch, take the connector off the back and put an ohm meter on the connectors, if the resistance is infinite with the clutch not depressed, and the resistance changes when the clutch is depressed then the switch is ok, so then it looks like the battery or starter
Then check the battery ground cable for corrosion, clean both ends and re install, making sure both the ends are tight
Old 09-30-2006, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

When I look at the clutch petal there are two switches. One that is activated when the clutch is to the floor and one that is activated when the clutch is just sitting there. Witch one do I check. I will probably just go check both but witch one is it I am looking for.
Thanks,
Adam
Old 09-30-2006, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

Ok on the black switch that is pressed when the clutch is depressed the multi-meter reads 1 on all resistance scales at both switch positions. I am assuming this is its way of telling me infinite resistance. So I am guessing that means this switch is bad?

Thanks,
Adam
Old 09-30-2006, 01:24 PM
Staging Lane

This really sounds like a bad battery or or an electrical connection problem to me. Check all the ground wires for tightness and corrosion. Give them a little tug to make sure they are not corroded off under the insulation. Ive seen corroded wires that will light lights but not handle the current draw of a starter. Pull the battery and have it tested at Advance Auto or the like. Good luck.
John
Old 09-30-2006, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

Had the battery checked and it is fine. I felt around on all the ground wires I could see and they all seemed fine. Anyone else have any input on the switch?

Thanks,
Adam

Last edited by Lukin; 09-30-2006 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

Update: I really need to have the car running tomorrow so I went and just got the switch since they would not be open tomorrow (it was only $10). Put it on and the car started rite away. Thanks everyone for your help.

Adam
Old 09-30-2006, 04:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Question

Originally Posted by Lukin
Update: I really need to have the car running tomorrow so I went and just got the switch since they would not be open tomorrow (it was only $10). Put it on and the car started rite away. Thanks everyone for your help.

Adam
Can you explain how you installed it..in case someone else needs to.[me]...thanx...