Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone have CARFAX? ive got some questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 07:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default anyone have CARFAX? ive got some questions

Hey everyone im looking for someone who has carfax. i have a couple questions id like to ask. is it worth it? what kind of records does it give you? and which would you reccomend? Thanks
Old 10-06-2006, 11:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude!,.Carefull. I don't think we're allowed to ask for CARFAX reports on here. I think theres a sticky about it in here somewhere!
Old 10-06-2006, 11:48 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Yep, you're skirting the ledge of getting this locked. Here's the sticky on the Carfax stuff: https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/415510-no-carfax-requests-no-carfax-requests-read-banned.html

If anyone wishes to answer UnZFeat'd, please do it via pm or emails. That'll keep anyone from getting in trouble. Thanks
Old 10-06-2006, 11:48 PM
Tech Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He's not asking for a CARFAX, just asking if they're worth it.

I think...
Old 10-07-2006, 02:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

carfax is a tricky thing. I crashed into the driverside of a lady(around 20 mph). had to get my front end(bumper cover) replaced, hood repainted because of a chip, enders repainted and realigned. we called the police and all of that. She got a ticket for careless driving because she pulled out in front of me. She didn't want to go through insurance and jsut paided out of her own pocket to fix the car. Sicne we never made an insurance claim..that wouldn't show up on carfax. So, it isn't the be all end all in knowing what the car has been through. A really good inspection by a body shop will probably tell you more than a carfax, but you end up paying more.
Old 10-07-2006, 05:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

but doesnt car fax show all kinds of records? for instance, if someone has ANYTHING wrong with it and they take it to a dealership? do they even have records for 30k mile service and stuff like that? my friend is trying to buy a car and the car he wants has 19 records on it cuz we looked it up on the site. those records could mean anything right? not necessarily bad?
Old 10-07-2006, 06:55 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteKnightZ28
He's not asking for a CARFAX, just asking if they're worth it.

I think...
Agreed. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

yes, CarFax is worth it. i've been running quite a few lately and they are listing accidents reports in some states. even shows the cop's notations...ie. "light damage, no injuries". also shows when and which dealer car was taken in for service and at what mileage. and many states have the emission stations (sometimes just a gas station) link directly to the DMV and CarFax picks up the pass or fail result + date + mileage.

the mileage part is great as the Fox Mustangs prior to '94 rolls back to 0 after 100k so it keeps the sellers honest. but again, it's not guaranteed that all of this will show up depending on the state. but it's well worth $25.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by UnZFeat'd
but doesnt car fax show all kinds of records? for instance, if someone has ANYTHING wrong with it and they take it to a dealership? do they even have records for 30k mile service and stuff like that? my friend is trying to buy a car and the car he wants has 19 records on it cuz we looked it up on the site. those records could mean anything right? not necessarily bad?
yeah..it show dealership warranty repairs...recalls..ect. for 25 dollars...its worth it, but keep in mind that it isn't exact and some stuff gets by. My accident isn't listed in my car fax, but both of my cat failures are and t stat failure are.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:29 PM
TECH Resident

Carfax is decent, but it is NOT to be relied upon 100%. They have limited access to data in over 20 states and I personally know of atleast 2 instances where the cars have a clean carfax, but not a clean history. One car had it's odometer disconnected and hasn't been counting miles for about 3 years now, yet it still has a spotless carfax.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by StealthZ06
One car had it's odometer disconnected and hasn't been counting miles for about 3 years now, yet it still has a spotless carfax.
well obviously no service can detect that. unless the state has emission testings regularly and they log the mileage directly to the DMV.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

Spend the 25 bucks. It saved me a lot of grief on a T/A I was about to drive off with. But, that being said, don't rely completely on it because some stuff does not show up. If your state has emissions testing, it is a good mileage check from year to year. The car I was about to buy showed 10K less miles on the odometer than the carfax report from the previous year on the emissions test report.