Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Low $$ approch to building a hot Rod

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 04:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best Low $$ approch to building a hot Rod

I have been lurking around a while and finally joined since the guys on the Pro-touring site keep directing our questions here.

I have been looking at the best way to get the most bang for the buck when it comes to converting an old car to a LS motor. I would like some input on my thinking and questions.

My ideal would be to put a LS2/T56 combo in my car but the price is a bit more steep then the LS1. My Goal is an efficient, reliable 12 sec daily driver to take to Events from time to time like the drag stip, silver state classic and road corses. I'm guessing 450hp would put me there with my 68 FB and a possible shot of NOS from time to time to maybe see the 11s. The LS2 seems to be a more effiient engine since it can make the same hp as a LS6 with a smaller cam?? I would assume that the smaller cam equates to longer valve train life thus reliability. There for the extra expense of the LS2 might be justified. However if the cost diffrence is more then a couple grand and if the efficency and reliability are small then a LS1 build would be the route to go. I have yet to figure this out.

Cost is a big deal to me so the options I'm looking at are:

1. Buy a ebay motor and tranny combo with the wiring harness and computer. Maybe hold out for a LS6??.

2. I could buy a wrecked LS car take the parts i want and try to sell the rest to make up some of the cost.

3. Piece it all out seperate. Would this be more expensive in the long run?? What would be the best combination of stock parts?? This also might be a better way of putting it together then trying to save for one big purchas that the wife would want to use for somthing else.

My thoughts for saving money are to stay stock as much as possible, with stock exhaust manifolds. wiring, computer and what ever else. Fabricate what I can when it comes to tranny mounts and fuel system. Upgrades can come later. I have seen many good tips on this site. If I start with a 400hp motor getting another 50hp shouldn't be to hard right???

Thoughts
Old 11-07-2006, 05:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started out like you. I started with #3, got burned with #1. I wish I would have done #2. I'm going on my 3rd year, but have been lagging big time with a wife, kids, pets, job, other hobbies. Yep, if you could do #2, that's what I would do. sell off the stuff you dont need.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably #2 is going to be the best bet, #3 is going to likely be the most expensive
If you get a whole car, you are pretty much assured of getting all the various brackets/braces/bits and pieces that can make a swap easier, and you won't be nickled and dimed to death having to locate and buy them if you don't get them with #1.
Depending on what you have left, you could come out money ahead by selling all the remaining stuff
Old 11-08-2006, 08:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the Input. If I go with Option 2 does any one have advice on locating a good Donner car?