New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In the market for Ls1 what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 11:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In the market for Ls1 what to look for?

as the title says im in the market for Ls1 car the things i knw i do want is 6speed white/black or blue and looking to spend no more that 14-15k. if i can find one stock then thats what i want but minor mods i will not mind. anyway are there any little quirks or things i should watch out for from year to year? i know about piston slap and thats one of my worries becaue ive never heard it before so i have no idea waht to watch out for. also i would prefer a t/a or formula but z's and ss' will work for me. any advice or comments are apreciated except for flamers!! ive been watching the boards and reading and talking to people who have the cars so its not like i havent alredy looked into it. thanks
Old 11-10-2006, 12:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

watch the rear end listen for noises and feel for excessive movement in the back. blown struts are pretty commen when the miles get higher. the clutch and tranny listen for too much noise coming from the syncro's. you know about piston slap so yea and six speeds pretty much have more ticking from miss shifts throughout their lives. good luck.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Few thing to look for (IMO). I will leave off the common sense things like check paint, make sure it runs smooth, proper maintenance, etc (Things you look for while buying any car)

1) Get a stock car. I figure (typically speaking) a modified car will have been ragged on more than a stock one. Do the mods yourself, so YOU know they are done right.
2) If you plan on modding heavily (aka forced induction) get a 99 or newer. This will be better for tuning, and your tuner will thank you
3) Piston slap is normal in these cars when COLD. Once operating temperature is reached there is no more piston slap. Note however that LS1's have a 'noisier' valvetrain.
4) An LS1 is an LS1. You could get a hell of alot more car for the money if you stuck with a Z28. Especially if you want to spend money on mods.

If you want to spend 14-15k, you could get a 99 or 00 for ~10k, and have plenty of money to spend on the goods.

Good luck man.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when you take it for a test drive make sure to see what its got and that it pulls through all rpm's. With a 6-speed make sure that it goes into all gears easy. Go from like a 10- 20mph kick in 1st gear and just hit it, if it looks as if the rpms sit for a second and then starts pulling it might just be slightly but that is telling you the clutch is on its way out. Also check for rubber in wheel wells and on the back inside of the bumper right behind the wheels. Hope this help a lil bit.
Peace
B.J.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:01 AM
Staging Lane

well so fare ive driven my uncles bone stock 02 auto t/a 01 auto stock t/a and a 00 t/a 6speed with a cat-back and i love them. ive always delt with the SBC and dont know a lot about the ls1 like the lil things about pistonslap ect. so far im liking all the replys keep em comin
Old 11-13-2006, 01:14 PM
Launching!

Id check the rear end and the condition of the weather strip around the t-tops, they are notorious for leaking...
Old 11-15-2006, 01:57 PM
Staging Lane

yea im starting to hear noises in the rear of my 98 now and the t-tops in it leak more than my 3rdgen ever has and its almost 22yrs old. they just dont make them like they used to i guess . what should normal oil psi be on a ls1 oils psi is something i always watch. i want something that i can drive everyday and i will mod but it will be a lil after i have it
Old 11-16-2006, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

well today i found a 01 Z28 M6 white black leather gfx's hurst package bone stock w/ 50k on the clock but i thought it was kinda steep @ $16,998! here is a pic tell me what you think and if i should pursure this one or keep looking. ive got more pics on my phone but cant find my uplaod cable...but when i do ill post those too!
Attached Thumbnails In the market for Ls1 what to look for?-1227071284.212605305.im1.main.240x180_a.240x180.jpg  
Old 11-16-2006, 03:59 PM
Staging Lane

if anyone cares this is what i will be trading in
Attached Thumbnails In the market for Ls1 what to look for?-image108.jpg   In the market for Ls1 what to look for?-image005.jpg   In the market for Ls1 what to look for?-image029.jpg  
Old 11-16-2006, 05:04 PM
TECH Resident

make sure to check all of the body lines make sure they all line up and are correct... all of them even the welds on the inner fender under the hood and the rear hatch.