Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

t/b bypass question

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t/b bypass question

I just did the t/b bypass on my 98 formula and it seems like now when im cruising at about 40-45 and punch it, it doesnt downshift near like it used to. Before i did the bypass it would downshift and hook up hard but it doesnt seem like its pulling as hard now. I read on the DIY for the t/b bypass that during the winter season you wont see any results from it and may even notice a slight drop in performance. Just curious to see some opinions or w/e on this matter!!
Old 11-14-2006, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

hmm okay well since no one is saying anything I've decided im gonna take it off because the car pulls noticeably less now than before...that is all thank you.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:20 PM
TECH Addict

The throttle bypass wont noticably affect anything, either somethings wrong or its in your head. All the bypass does is keep the throttle body the slightest bit cooler, it really doesnt change anything
Old 11-15-2006, 02:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ericbigmac83
The throttle bypass wont noticably affect anything, either somethings wrong or its in your head. All the bypass does is keep the throttle body the slightest bit cooler, it really doesnt change anything
What he said ^

It probably in your head...there is no way, I repeat, no way that a TBB is noticable....not in a good way, or a bad way...

Check all your connections, etc and make sure you didnt accidentally leave a vacuum line or sensor unplugged...maybe not while installing the TBB, but maybe you didnt notice it at the time...
Old 11-15-2006, 06:14 AM
Former Vendor - No longer Vendor

all in your head. no way the butt dyno would be able to pick up any gain. but its better then not having bypass. who wants hot coolant going through their throttle body anyway?
Old 11-15-2006, 06:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fortheluckyones
I just did the t/b bypass on my 98 formula and it seems like now when im cruising at about 40-45 and punch it, it doesnt downshift near like it used to. Before i did the bypass it would downshift and hook up hard but it doesnt seem like its pulling as hard now. I read on the DIY for the t/b bypass that during the winter season you wont see any results from it and may even notice a slight drop in performance. Just curious to see some opinions or w/e on this matter!!
The TB by-pass isn't worth any real HP and won't affect how the car runs. Not directly.

Now it's possible that you may have altered or knocked something to to with the rest of the TB assy and mech. Or pulled a breather/vacuum hose off or knocked a HT lead. These could all affect peroformance.

To the other side of the coin.

Do you have any other mods on you car?

Is it 2.73 or 3.23 gears?

Basically a 2.73 geared car will NOT kick down to 1st above 40mph, only to 2nd, but this is a flat sport for this gearing. 3.23 geared cars certainly won't kickdown to first at this speed, but should kickdown to 2nd and will be in a better power band than the 2.73's.

So it could be that the car hasn't changed at all and you are just trying to get it to kick down at the wrong speed. Logcially this seems the mostly likely answer.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:28 AM
On The Tree

It's a 2.73 geared car but I have 3.23's that im installing next week. I realize that there is no *noticeable* gain to be had with the TBB soo I guess its either in my head or im just not at the right speed for it to downshift. I'm a noob with these cars still since this is my first one to own
Old 11-15-2006, 07:06 PM
11 Second Club

2.73 to a3.23 id atleast go 3.42.the 3.23 isnt gonna feel a whole lot better.i went 3.73 but thats just my opinion.try resetting the ecu. make sure the maf is reinstalled properly.it works as a load meter for the a4 also to determine line pressure.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

Well I say they are 3.23...I could be wrong. They were included with the car when I bought it and i cant remember for sure what the ratio was. I'll call him tomorrow and find out. Thanks for all the tips guys!!
Old 11-15-2006, 11:23 PM
11 Second Club

TB bypass...there's one that everyone does because, well...it couldn't hurt. Not too sure if it helps but it can't hurt. Back when that was my first mod, i actually had it listed as my sig. You will feel no noticeable difference one way or the other though. If it seems slower it is in your head or something was left unhooked...as was previously indicated!
Old 11-16-2006, 03:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

It's a 2.73 geared car
Well that speed is a dead spot for this gearing. The rpms are way too high to kickdown to 1st, so it'll only kickdown to 2nd, but it will be in the low rpms.

Try going 36-39mph and then go WOT it should kickdown to 1st and be quite different.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:39 AM
Teching In

i jus recently bypassed my TB...no problems here, i noticed it was makin a horrible noise, (pretty sure it was rubbin the pulley) but it went away ..
Old 11-16-2006, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

yeah my clamp was rubbing on the pulley but i just secured it up and away from it after I noticed it was rubbing......I'm officially stupid and its all in my head....feel free to mock freely at my expense haha
Old 11-16-2006, 09:16 PM
11 Second Club

yeah my clamp was rubbing on the pulley but i just secured it up and away from it after I noticed it was rubbing......I'm officially stupid and its all in my head....feel free to mock freely at my expense haha
Yea i just wrapped a long ziptie around it and up around the bellow. It holds it up like 1/2 inch or so from the pulley.