Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

going from mobil 1 to cheap stuff

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 02:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default going from mobil 1 to cheap stuff

ok i just got my z28, and the previous owner said he only used mobil 1, but i dont really believe him becuase he lied about a lot of other things and hes an ***. back to the topic, if he did run mobil 1 would it be fine to change to a non-synthetic because i am cheap. and what is a good inexpensive oil. thanks
Old 11-14-2006, 03:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

that is fine, millions of production cars use the cheapest oils without problems. remember its just a chevy.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I buy Mobil 1 at the local Walmart on sale for 18 bucks for a 5 quart jug. Cheap enough for me!!!
Old 11-14-2006, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread will probably start a big argument, and you will get alot of people telling you to run synthetic oil (pay me now or pay me later). I am not disagreeing with that argument, but the reality is that for a daily driver, you can run a good conventional brand-name oil and be O.K. as long as you are changing it regularly. Do synthetics perform better? Yes. Will a conventional oil cause your motor to explode? No. Can you put in a conventional oil after running synthetic? Yes.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:41 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

honestly dude, if price is an issue, i'd buy a good synthetic like GC 0W-30 or mobil 1 5W-40 and just run it twice as long. it comes out to be roughly the same cost.

if you absolutely are so unbelievably poor that the extra dollar a quart is killing your income and you are going to use conventional oil, you best use nothing but castrol GTX. it's the only conventional stuff i'd put in my motor. well, maybe shell rotella, too.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:57 PM
12 Second Club

I agree with Choco. I use Royal Purple in my vehicles (they are right down the street from me). My father ran Castrol 20w50 in all of his high performance vehicle back in the day and never had trouble with the oil breaking down. I would definitely run Castrol if you don't want to run synthetic.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

I'm a believer that all oil, as long as it's a brand name, is basically the same. Some might have a few more additives, but the differance isn't huge. Like I've said in some other posts, I've worked in oil yards where oil is refined and either made into gas or motor oil. It's all damn near the same, and conventional oil is all within maybe $.20 of each other per quart. In my daily drivers, I've always either gotten what was on sale or the cheapest name brand, be it havoline, castrol, quaker state, etc, and have had no problems. My TA, of course, I only use synthetic. Used to be M1, now going to try the GC 0w30 craze.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:11 PM
TECH Regular

so castrol 5w30 is a decent oil. and ive heard to stay far far away from fram oil filters, are they that bad?
Old 11-14-2006, 10:44 PM
11 Second Club

Default castrol syntec blend

i use the syntec blend its a good oil and wont hurt your income.usualy around 2.30 a quart at wal-mart.this is very true about most oils coming from the same refinerys.the main thing is to change your oil every 3k
Old 11-15-2006, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Searching4Sierra
so castrol 5w30 is a decent oil. and ive heard to stay far far away from fram oil filters, are they that bad?
I've also heard bad things about Fram filters, yet I've used them in my daily drivers for years, with no problems. Never did an analysis, but never had anything go wrong either. On my new truck, 05 Colorado, I almost need a fram, because of the grip surface it has on the bottom. They put the filter in the most god awful place, and without the skateboard tape on the filter, my hand just slides off it when I change them.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

woops just bought a fram with castrol syntec. oh well I'll just buy a k and n next time.