Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with mods for 99 ss

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 04:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with mods for 99 ss

Hey guys, i just recently bought a 99 camaro ss t-top for 12500 only 35000 miles on it....

Im 20 years old and wanted to get some mods for the car, dont have a large amount of money to invest into the ss but im a firm believer in buying the right part the first time so im willing on spending good amount of money for a good reliable performance part... i already have a LS6 intake manifold on the order sheet, and k&n filter im looking on making the ss a good 350+ hp car for now.

aftermarket parts on it are
its got the loudmouth slp exhaust sytem (it sound mean)
autometer rpm gauge
7 inch lcd touch screen
all around 275 yokohama tires
msd spark plug 8.5 mm wires

any suggested mods or advise would be greatly appreciated,
baller on a budget here..
Old 12-26-2006, 01:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

headers....you can get some for under 400 bucks....port your tb....some more suspension to put the power down you have now....thats not very detailed....but take it from there and run with it
Old 12-26-2006, 01:08 PM
Trunion King

headers, lid, free mods ie p/p tb, ORY, plugs/wires
Old 12-26-2006, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

lid, headers (make sure they are long tube (LT) header) kooks are great. also is it an auto (A4) or manuel (m6), if its an auto a stall would be nice, also some new bigger gears

Last edited by ICEMAN 31; 12-26-2006 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-26-2006, 02:49 PM
TECH Veteran

I would get a Lid, Longtube Headers (pacesetters) since your on a budget, Port your Throttle Body. This will get you near 350 hp. Then i would work on some suspension parts and shocks/lowering springs.

I'm in the same situation as you. I'm 20 and on a budget as well. I have the pacesetters waiting for install. They are very good for the price.
Old 12-26-2006, 02:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree with what everybody just said. go with a lid. any aftermarket lid. get some longtube headers like pacesetters, and any catback of your choice. then get a pulley and port yur own throttle body. i would also get some suspension in there like some subframe connectors atleast.
Old 12-26-2006, 02:56 PM
12 Second Club

go with a 125 shot...people u race wont know what hit em....sleeper mod
Old 12-26-2006, 07:25 PM
Staging Lane

its a 6 speed, im pretty sure i have an aftermarket lid is there any distinguishing marks or a difference from factory lid to aftermarket the one i have on says slp on it might be aftermarket???

is there a difference betwen long tube headers and shorty headers, i heard that the slp longtube headers will hit bottom if i go over a bump, depending on ride height of course.... i was looking at the slp longtube just because i want to go all slp like i said id rather pay once for a really good part instead of replacing a not so good aftermarket part.

and on the throttle body is it better to just port it out or go with a aftermarket bigger mm throttle body,
thanks for the suggestion guys i really appreciate it, im new to the ls1 world but i used to own a 97 z28 lt1 6 speed...... the ss models rock!!!

thanks again guys....
Old 12-26-2006, 07:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hugo_SS
its a 6 speed, im pretty sure i have an aftermarket lid is there any distinguishing marks or a difference from factory lid to aftermarket the one i have on says slp on it might be aftermarket???

is there a difference betwen long tube headers and shorty headers, i heard that the slp longtube headers will hit bottom if i go over a bump, depending on ride height of course.... i was looking at the slp longtube just because i want to go all slp like i said id rather pay once for a really good part instead of replacing a not so good aftermarket part.

and on the throttle body is it better to just port it out or go with a aftermarket bigger mm throttle body,
thanks for the suggestion guys i really appreciate it, im new to the ls1 world but i used to own a 97 z28 lt1 6 speed...... the ss models rock!!!

thanks again guys....

My lid says SLP on it...its aftermarket...the big difference is stock has a huge plastic baffle thing behind the lid.

I just ordered some long tube headers, offroad y pipe, o2 extensions, etc it was $519 shipped.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:36 PM
Staging Lane

ok so im really looking into the longtube im hearing good thing about them....
weiland < not sure if i spelled it right makes a lsx intake manifold that needs to paird up to a 90mm throttle bodie that would be awsome i hear thats the best for an ls1 but would that kill my gas mileage.???
Old 12-26-2006, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

SLP really aint that great, they have alot of problems with there product

and dont mess with the stock MAF sensor its good for up to 500 hp

smooth bellow are a waste of time

and after ur bolt-on's its a necessity to do some suspension mods

also some better brakes is always great, if you want to go fast you have to still be safe, and nice vented rotars look so good(get your calipers painted black, on the pewter it will look better than red, and get a camaro SS decal on each of them)

and this link is gold use it well
https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/361959-so-you-wanna-fast.html

Oh and congrats on your camaro you got a great deal on it, looks great and welcome to the Ls1 world (not sure if you have owned an f-body before).

Detroit Muscle till the day I die.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Veteran

I agree that slp isnt the best. And it sounds like you have an aftermarket lid.(slp) And i would not do a 90mm tb and intake manifold yet. The ls6 is good for your current application.
And the link posted by ICEMAN 31 is very helpful and answer all of your questions.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:18 PM
TECH Resident

If your looking to drop that kind of money on some headers you should look really hard at kooks or qtp's before buying. Pacesetters offer great quality for the price. SFC's should be the minimal investment for the suspension. If the car was mine I would work towards getting full bolt ons and sfc's then go from there. For a car that's anywhere close to stock an aftermarket tb or maff would be a waste. You also might want to pass up that weiland intake for an ls6. -just my .02
Congrats on the car, enjoy it.