New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camaro's and Trans Am's hard to find?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 07:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camaro's and Trans Am's hard to find?

I have been in the market for over 3 months for a Camaro or Trans Am with an LS1 in it and a Six speed transmission (M6/T56) All i want is a 00-02 Camaro or T/A, preferably a camaro. I have been using autotrader to try and find one locally and I personally do not trust Ebay to buy a car off of, So i was wondering how everyone one of you found your cars if they were used. What other options are there other then Autotrader and Ebay to find used cars. I have also been looking in the Ad's on here for cars but havnt found one that has sent me to excitement to buy an outa state car before seeing it. SO guys please guide me to find my new car, I love this site and even though i dont have the car yet, I have researched many of the articles and how-to's so im ready when i get it.

Thanks alot in advance
-Justin
Old 01-03-2007, 08:08 PM
12 Second Club

i found mine on here last june 28k miles for 16k i would stick to auto trader and here to find a car you like there not that hard to find in general just depends on how picky you are about it (color,options ect) but it took me almost 2 yrs to find the one i wanted just take your time you will find it until then keep looking through all of the articles and learn as much as you can
Old 01-03-2007, 08:25 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,071 Posts

The last LS1 I bought was used. I searched for 3-4 months before I found it. But I was VERY picky about what I wanted. Requirements were: auto trans, under 15K miles, show/near show condition. Preferred was: T-tops, red or silver in color.

I found the car on Autotrader. That was back in '04.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:45 PM
Launching!

awesome, I have found one but the trans needs to be fixed because the 2nd gear synco is out. I have helped drop a T56 out of a T/A so i know how to drop the trans, and t56 rebuilds is less then 30 minutes from my house. My father also has known the guy for a little while so he somewhat trusts him. I just wanted to make sure there wasnt another car out there. Although this car would be great because then i can learn how to work on it to respect it even more. Yet i wanted to know more than just his option. Kinda watned just to make sure im not making any mistakes.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Everyone seems to have trouble finding a manual F-body, but I had the opposite problem. I wanted an auto SS/WS6, either SOM, NBM, Black, or red. Took forever to find. I think it was on autotrader or cars.com.

As far as eBay, you can search locally. If you see a car that you want, tell the seller you don't want to do the eBay BS, and you have cash in hand if he'll end it early.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:55 PM
Launching!

i was looking for about 6 months and the only restrictions i had were 6spd 80,000 miles or less and less than $12K couldn't find what i wanted so i settled w/ a auto TA w/ 81,000 miles. but now i wish i could have waited and gotten the 6spd b/c i'm itching to have a manual again especially in a car as powerful as these. good luck though on the car you are lookin at if the price and mileage are right i would do it.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:58 PM
CK1
Teching In

got mine off autotrader in october
Old 01-03-2007, 09:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

I went through auto trader and found my 02 WS6 with 2700 miles on it a couple of months ago. I searched for it for a couple of years.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

bought mine off autotrader in april 4 years ago. Im in LA Ca. there where two cars with the all the options, miles and color I wanted. Salt Lake City Utah and Dallas Texas. I paid a lemon checker service 300 to inspect each car(they garantee the motor and trans for 3 mos.) Bought the one in utah. I flew in one day at noon. The dealer picked me up at the airport and I was driving my beast home at 3:00 pm
Old 01-03-2007, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by D_Rock
I went through auto trader and found my 02 WS6 with 2700 miles on it a couple of months ago. I searched for it for a couple of years.
Are you serious? I only took a few months to buy my house!
Old 01-03-2007, 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

found mine on ebay and have no probs at all. car was in cali and i'm in ny so bought it sight unseen just pics. call anyone on ebay and talk to them before bidding. got what i wanted 00 ws6 low mileage 26k 6spd color i wanted took me about 5 months but have no prob at all. oh and only cost 15k plus 900 shipping
Old 01-03-2007, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

im like you i wouldnt trust ebay either unless you go look at it before you buy it. personally i called a few specialty dealerships that specialized in selling used high performance / special edition cars around my area and told them what i want and they said they'd contact me and let me know as soon as something came in. i also called all nearby chevrolet dealerships and turns out a dealership found mine 40,000 miles 02 SS 1 owner M6 and never wrecked.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got my Trans Am from carmax they shipped it over from California got a great deal on it and i got it 6 months ago its 2001 and it only had 20,000 miles on it I never saw a car in such mint condition. I hve a good friend that works at the Car Max and i know how well they take care of there cars and how good there inspections are (he does most of them).Never buy a car from a wholesaler or an auction 75% chance there a lemon, use to work part time at a wholsaler my god we ripped some people off. All i know is I love my TA and I drive it like a maniac everyday and so far no problems. Carmax is a little pricey but there reliable cars (atleast the one here)
Old 01-03-2007, 10:19 PM
TECH Veteran

try car.com...this will give you all the camaro's-t/a's that are at dealorships, not the best search engine but will get you the real nice LS1's that have been certified and cleaned up. But Autotrader is where i found mine..hands down the best search engine
Old 01-03-2007, 10:30 PM
12 Second Club

Found mine at a local (well known) dealership. The price was right, I wanted a M6 but now almost a year later I'm glad I got the auto. Auto trader or carmax are good.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

It took me three years to find exactly what I wanted in my area. Remember due to smog laws you might not want to get an out of state vehicle
Old 01-03-2007, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

yahoo autos
cars.com
carsoup.com
Looked through those for a year and finally found mine.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:53 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by giant016
Everyone seems to have trouble finding a manual F-body, but I had the opposite problem. I wanted an auto SS/WS6, either SOM, NBM, Black, or red. Took forever to find. I think it was on autotrader or cars.com.
I know what you mean. Last time I was looking I had no problem finding a TON of M6 cars that I had no use for. Finding a low mileage auto was nearly impossibile in my area around that time.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by giant016

As far as eBay, you can search locally. If you see a car that you want, tell the seller you don't want to do the eBay BS, and you have cash in hand if he'll end it early.
lol,.Thats what I wanted and found. lol,..everyones gonna hate me for this one but it only took me 10 minutes to find it. lol. Talk about luck!!!

I just did a google search for dealerships in and around my area sell'n a blk 2000 WS.6 Trans Am A4 and it popped up only ONE. Went down the next day, test drove it, loved it and paid it in full with cash.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I found mine on Auto Trader as well. It was on a dealership about 180 miles south of me. Put a deposit down over the phone, went down 2 days later, took it for a spin and did the paperwork. Actually I had the guy start the financing and he called me on the way down and said we were good to go if I liked it once I drove it. It will pop up eventually. I to looked for months till I found mine.

Quick Reply: Camaro's and Trans Am's hard to find?