Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

serpentine belt help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 10:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default serpentine belt help!!

Ok my car (2000 ss) has the notorious "belt squeel". I went and bought a new tensioner and serp belt, put them both on and it still squeels....but now that is the least of my problems. I asked a friend who has a 99 vette on any suggestions for the squeel. He said to take the belt off and turn it around. I didnt see how that could help but i figured id give it a shot. So i went out the next morning and took the belt off and turned it around. now heres where the problem comes. when i went to put the belt back on...it easily slipped around every pulley and the tensioner with out having to even move the tensioner. so it almost seems like it is like 6" too long.?? Yes i have it on correctly. no pulleys were missed. two other people (not f-body people) have looked at it just to make sure i didnt make any mistakes that i may have over looked. No the new belt and tensioner are not the wrong ones. i put the new belt and tensioner on one day and drove it then took it off the next and now wont go on correctly. even went out and bought another new tensioner and pulley and the same thing happens. please any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. im pretty new to these cars so maybe something else moved or broke that im not seeing. thanks
Old 01-06-2007, 10:33 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds to me like you have the belt routed incorrectly for it to have that much extra slack. Double-ckeck it again. It should be really snug once you get it slipped on over the tensioner.

I wouldn't take any more advice from your friend with the '99 Vette. His belt flipping idea is rediculous.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:46 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
His belt flipping idea is rediculous.
Yes it is.

If you flip the belt (turn it inside out), the ribbed portion won't be interlocking with the grooves in the tensioner pulley. Bad idea on his part.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:59 AM
TECH Regular

Not turning the belt inside out...turing it around. so if you took a marker and drew an arrow on the belt facing the left....when you turn the belt around the arrow would face the right. i also didnt see how it would help being that you could put the belt on in any direction. but i tried it anyway and now it wont go back on snug. Ive checked it over and over and over again and two other people have also. it is installed correctly. its just way too loose. i dont understand.?.?
Old 01-06-2007, 03:29 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

A directional arrow? What brand of belt did you buy? I get my belts at Napa, and they don't have an arrow screened on them. The grooves on the belt aren't directional by any means.

You've either got the wrong belt or have somehow stretched the belt without giving any noticable stress marks or cracks. Inspect the belt very closely for damage.

Maybe you've somehow rebolted the tensioner back onto the block using the wrong holes?
Old 01-06-2007, 07:23 PM
TECH Regular

never mind thanks tho
Old 01-06-2007, 07:49 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

I bet you have a stock belt and like an ASP pulley, that would explain slack. After market pulley needs smaller belt.

Now if you still have squeak after the fix, or I was wrong (has to be wrong belt though) then try the lower belt. I know a buttload of friends that the LOWER tensioner went bad and made squeaks.

Let us know.

Peace,
Craig.

Quick Reply: serpentine belt help!!