Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Camaro SS w/ Single exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Camaro SS w/ Single exhaust?

I figured i'de go ahead and post this in the newbie tech since i obviously don't know about it and was hopeing this would be the right place. I have recently been searching for an LS1 camaro, or Bird and ive found a couple of both but i have noticed on 2 of the 1998 Camaro SS's a have found with an LS1 they only have a single exhaust outlet but its a pretty big pipe? WTF? what happened to the y-pipe. can someone please fill me in this is just beating the hell out of me....
Old 01-07-2007, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

All `98 WS6 and SS's had the single 3.5" pipe Standard unless the SS had the optional SLP Dual Dual exhaust.
In `99 they went to the Dual 2.5" pipes. The single outlet flows better but was to loud so that is why they changed it.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for filling me in, couldnt find it anywhere.. i appreciate it
Old 01-08-2007, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

A stock F-body has a single exhaust from the factory. The exhaust from each side of the engine merge together with a y-pipe. The single exhaust pipe continues from the y-pipe, over the axle, to the muffler. The muffler has a single inlet but has two outlets. The two seperate outlets exiting under the rear bumpers give the illusion that the cars have dual exhaust. The factory muffler is very heavy so it is not uncommon to see someone replace it with a lighter muffler with a straight through design using a single tailpipe. This reduces weight, adds horsepower and usually sounds much better than stock.

Quick Reply: 98 Camaro SS w/ Single exhaust?