Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie dumb question

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie dumb question

Hi i just purchased a 98 trans am A4 and am already modding. I have an slp intake package and flowmaster y back kit. My next mod is the MAC offroad y-pipe and i want to get a handheld tuner. My questions are, does anyone have this y-pipe, does it actually bolt up to my stock manifolds, and will it trip my o2 sensors? My next newbie question is about the tuner, what one is the most recommended. Could someone explain what the difference is in 98, and what tunners r out there for the 98s. Thanks for any help u guys can give me. I'll post some pics of my new baby after i get the prokit on and some phat 18's. Thanks everybody, glad to join LS1tech.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

check in the tuner section to find out about tuners, im really not that educated in that field. but taking the cats off and gettin a ORY pipe will through codes, and yeild pretty much NO gains you would be better off gettin a nice set of LT headers
Old 01-17-2007, 12:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by blakern
Hi i just purchased a 98 trans am A4 and am already modding. I have an slp intake package and flowmaster y back kit. My next mod is the MAC offroad y-pipe and i want to get a handheld tuner. My questions are, does anyone have this y-pipe, does it actually bolt up to my stock manifolds, and will it trip my o2 sensors? My next newbie question is about the tuner, what one is the most recommended. Could someone explain what the difference is in 98, and what tunners r out there for the 98s. Thanks for any help u guys can give me. I'll post some pics of my new baby after i get the prokit on and some phat 18's. Thanks everybody, glad to join LS1tech.
1. Get rid of the Flowmaster they flow horrible and rob you of power
2. MAC ORY WILL set off the Engine Light, and putting on one would be pointless if you do not plan on changing the stock manifolds out, get longtubes.
3. Handheld tuner's=crap. I had one and basically had to "Give it away"
4. Get a REAL tune on a dynojet.
5.18's are nice, but tires are expensive ( I stuck with 17's)
6. SLP intake's are overprices but they ARE very good products especially b/c of how good their fitment's are and hw good of quality they are. The rest of SLP is junk IMO.
7. Last and not least we are glad to have you here on Ls1tech, and dont be afraid to post up questions if you need help or opinions, we are a community here.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:21 AM
TECH Regular

wont long tubes also set off a code just like the off road y-pipe?? I just have a hard time belivin that the off road y-pipe will not show gains buy gettin rid of the cats and that horrible lookin stock y. What do u guys know about hedman headers?? I want more pics of your car SHINER. My t/a is bright red and the 18's I have on the way are black with deep polished lips. I not sure how it will look. If anyone else has pics of red birds with black rims id love to see them.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:06 AM
Banned

Don't get a ORY unless you have headers. Bottom line. The small gains are not worth the cost. Save up for headers and a ypipe to go with the headers, or better yet, save up for headers and True Duals like Bassani's True Dual kit.

I second that handheld tuners are crap. You don't want to waste money on one of those. Save up for a real dyno tune, or your own tuning software like HPTuner. But you really don't need a tune unless you have headers/all the boltons or cam or heads, otherwise you don't need a tune.

The flowmaster catbacks are not good, they will cost you horsepower. Save up for a better catback like Magnalfow, which is a great all around catback. Better yet save up for True Duals with xpipe crossover.

I also second the notion that 18s are a waste. Get some nice 17s and call it a day. Otherwise you are just throwing money out the door (unless you really really really want to spend the money on 18s...to each his own...).
Old 01-17-2007, 11:42 PM
11 Second Club

the ory will set the light but you can get o2 sims(mil eliminators)to turn it off.as ofor the difference in 98s:the fuel system uses a return style setup.were the 99 up cars regulate fuel in the tank.the 98 has larger injectors also28lb.also the 98s abs is a little different in the rear.in about 2 weeks ill have a hypertech pp3 for sale newest version paid 400$3 mo ago for my gearswap ill take 175 shipped
Old 01-18-2007, 02:48 AM
TECH Regular

Trust everyone when they say don't get an ORY without LT's it's completely pointless. Also you gotta get rid of the crapmaster...anything is better than that..even stock lol