Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie First Thread---2000 Corvette engine mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 02:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie First Thread---2000 Corvette engine mods

Needing advice on what direction to go with engine modifications....I'm wanting to change out the intake,heads cam and lifters and whatever would be best to do. A Borla exhaust was put on the car before I bought it and i'm going to put headers on it before I do any engine mods. Any help would be appreciated guys thanks!!

Last edited by WVKev46; 01-17-2007 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:40 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

-cold air intake or "lid", headers, ORY, exhaust.
-LS6 intake, ported tb, maybe an underdrive pulley, TUNE
-heads/cam swap.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:30 PM
Restricted User

I'd do a VaraRam intake, kooks headers, ory, a LS6 intake, cam, underdrive pulley, and heads if you have that in the budget. Also a clutch if its a M6 a converter if its a A4. Give us a call if we can help ya out. I dont know if you're semi-local or not.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:24 PM
11 Second Club

do your bolt-ons first then see how you like it
Old 01-18-2007, 06:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NBM2001Z28
I'd do a VaraRam intake, kooks headers, ory, a LS6 intake, cam, underdrive pulley, and heads if you have that in the budget. Also a clutch if its a M6 a converter if its a A4. Give us a call if we can help ya out. I dont know if you're semi-local or not.

I was looking around 4000.00 on modifications. My corvette is an automatic by the way. I'm in West Virginia also.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put down your ultimate goal and work back from there. Speaking from experience you really only want to do things once. Is this a daily driver or a weekend street strip car. There is no sense in putting on a ls6 intake and then going with a Ls7 head a year down the road.
Spend alot of time reading this forum and keep a pad and paper by you so that you can make notes as you read.
BUT just be aware that once the mod bug has bitten it is hard to stop. There is always something new coming out.
There should be a local club in your area, that can help. Get a ride in a couple of cars so you can see what the drivability is like.

Good luck
Old 01-18-2007, 02:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Orange Juice
Put down your ultimate goal and work back from there. Speaking from experience you really only want to do things once. Is this a daily driver or a weekend street strip car. There is no sense in putting on a ls6 intake and then going with a Ls7 head a year down the road.
Spend alot of time reading this forum and keep a pad and paper by you so that you can make notes as you read.
BUT just be aware that once the mod bug has bitten it is hard to stop. There is always something new coming out.
There should be a local club in your area, that can help. Get a ride in a couple of cars so you can see what the drivability is like.

Good luck
My car is a 3-5 day driven car during the summer. I've actually checked out alot of the forums and have learned alot for just the few days I've been on here and have written down alot of interesting things that will help me and my goal. Once I rebuild the motor that'll be it. I'm hoping to get between 500 - 525 hp out of my Vette. My first thing to do is headers,once that is done it's the internal info I need. I was told from a friend that if I changed the intake, heads, cam and lifter kit,cold air intake and flash tuner I should no trouble getting there. That's why I'm here getting more opinions from those who are experts. I'm looking around $4000.00 or so in parts and I'll be buying all the parts during the summer and next winter should be the rebuilt stage Thanks for the reply back and info!
Old 01-18-2007, 03:09 PM
Banned

Like mentioned you want to start out with a good base, all the intake and exhaust boltons: LS6 intake manifold, ported tb, LG intake, Stainless Steel headers, good xpipe crossover, sound catback, etc.

Then on with drivetrain upgrades, clutch if you're a M6, converter if you're an A4 (with tranny cooler). Consider a 3.73 gear for shorter acceleration, but not worth it if you already have 3.23s.

This will create a solid foundation to build on. Then you can start the internal modifications, such as cam, springs, retainers, pushrods, oil pump, underdrive pulley, timing chain, heads, etc.

Basically that is what I would do if I were you. Specifically you want to do research as to what items to purchase, ie, which headers, which catback, which heads, what kind of cam, to narrow down your decision. Tons of information can be gleaned by reading the threads on the first few pages of the internal and external forums as well as the stickies so read up, then you can ask more specific questions on what to purchase.

Setting your goals is your first step as to what you want to run. Next is matching parts to your goals, which is the easy part. FWIW A proven head/cam kit from TSP should net you upwards of 425 rwhp, which is ~500 fwhp, just near your target. Or a more expensive route would be AFR heads, matched with a custom or their recommended camshaft. That should put you near 440+ rwhp and still be reliable hp.