New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just hit a milestone 100,000miles..what should I tune up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 08:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Just hit a milestone 100,000miles..what should I tune up?

Well my car just hit 100,000 miles. I need some help on knowing everything I have to tune up and replace to keep my car running smooth. I know I have to replace the spark plugs and get some new wires, but what else should I do?
Old 01-24-2007, 09:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed my coils when I hit 100k, new struts, flush the coolant if you havent previously.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

coolant flush is a good idea. If you timing chain is slack you might want to upgrade to an LS2 chain. I am still running on stock coil packs and I am creeping up on 120K now, haven't had any problems.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Damn 2K1WS6TA, 120K, mine were crapping out, started idling rough, hesitation when accelerating, $400 / 8 new coils and it ran like a new car. Thats awesome yours have held out.

Definitly look at a new timing chain.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:15 PM
TECH Resident

I would do plugs, wires, coil packs if needed, front o2 sensors, fuel filter......I did all this & it ran like a new car FWIW
Old 01-25-2007, 12:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Fuel filter, flush all fluids (Coolant, trans, rear end, blinker {Ok I was joking about that last one}), and the almighty Sea-Foam treatment. If you are not familiar with Sea-Foam search it and look @ ChocoTaco's write-up on it. Congrats on reaching that milestone! Treat yourself to some mods...
Old 01-25-2007, 07:41 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks guys for all the advise. Yea I know its time for mods but with school and bills its hard to save up..lol..but i just ordered my exhaust and some nice drilled and slotted rotors with pads. Its a start but I know ill have everything I want on my car later.. I have a question how much would a timing chain cost me?
Old 01-29-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Fuel Filter! Is a very good one. Shocks is another one. Check Brakes. And all the normal stuff plugs,air filter, tranny fluid.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:15 PM
11 Second Club

Default well put

Originally Posted by PowerShift408
Fuel filter, flush all fluids (Coolant, trans, rear end, blinker {Ok I was joking about that last one}), and the almighty Sea-Foam treatment. If you are not familiar with Sea-Foam search it and look @ ChocoTaco's write-up on it. Congrats on reaching that milestone! Treat yourself to some mods...
what he said.id have all the suspesion components checked also brakes rotors,and a thermostat.I worked with a kid that was so dumb once i sent him on a parts run to get blinker fluid.the funny part was the lady working at the parts store(advance)caalled me asking what blinker fluid was.stupid people are so funny.oh yeah slap some new belts on as well.you will know when a coil goesc bad.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:41 PM
11 Second Club

thanks I have already taken care of the brakes so we are good to go in that area...now for the rest of the stuff..any more suggestions anyone?...
Old 01-29-2007, 09:01 PM
Teching In

Okay so I just acquired this z, apparently 99 does not have the LT1 ??? from what I'm reading it is an LS1?

but here's the big question changing plug wires and plugs.....how do you get to them ? My rookies guess is from the bottom? that puppy is STUFFED in there....what tools will I need a creative Craftsman set just doesn't look like it's enough or is more scary to look at than to do?

Thanks IA!!!
Old 01-30-2007, 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FurZt
Okay so I just acquired this z, apparently 99 does not have the LT1 ??? from what I'm reading it is an LS1?

but here's the big question changing plug wires and plugs.....how do you get to them ? My rookies guess is from the bottom? that puppy is STUFFED in there....what tools will I need a creative Craftsman set just doesn't look like it's enough or is more scary to look at than to do?

Thanks IA!!!
you must be really new to the F-body world. They started putting LS1's in F-bodies in 98 and corvettes in 97. Changing plugs is not the most pleasent thing to try, but it isn't that bad. the number 8 plug is by far the worst, on the passenger side. You just need a 5/8" socket and a small extension and some patience. I found it easy to lay across the front of the car facing the rear of it, that way your legs won't lock and get tired in a couple of minutes.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:53 PM
Teching In

thanks ....I think yep I just picked this unit up, and it needs some help. I had a friend check it out and he says.....ain't no Ls1, says it is the "interceptor" (wth is that) I haven't heard that term in years. So is that a LT1? YEP I am NEW to this body style....in fact I have never owned a Camaro before....not to mention a Z.

New question, whar is the ERG valve.....it is thrown a 32 code. the fuel mix is horrible.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Damn the only other 02 I've heard with more miles than me ! I'm at 97K still original plugs, wires, fuel filter, rear lube. So far only replaced engine hyd fluids, tranny fluids, belts n belt tensioners - n tires of coarse.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FurZt
thanks ....I think yep I just picked this unit up, and it needs some help. I had a friend check it out and he says.....ain't no Ls1, says it is the "interceptor" (wth is that) I haven't heard that term in years. So is that a LT1? YEP I am NEW to this body style....in fact I have never owned a Camaro before....not to mention a Z.

New question, whar is the ERG valve.....it is thrown a 32 code. the fuel mix is horrible.
Are you Hi-jacking this thread? Just kidding sounds like you have an aging beast that needs 100k kind of massage.

LS1, 2, 6, and 7 are engine names. The police package should be called the B4. The police package is mostly deleted items as opposed to extra's.

Your friend is either wrong or you got ripped off. I'm sure you have the LS1 though. Lots of wrong info out there. Start at the door sticker with all the codes. They will tell you exactly what you have. find JRP's frequently asked questions for more info then your friends could ever give you and do some reading before you post again, please.

When you say this is your hobby did you do any work on those cars or just buy them ready to go? Not that there is anything wrong with that, just asking.

Welcome to LS1TECH

Quick Reply: Just hit a milestone 100,000miles..what should I tune up?