New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low oil level?

Old 01-31-2007, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low oil level?

I take my car up to an Express Lube to have the oil changed. The last two times I've gotten the oil changed, they've told me that it's half a quart low. I check my oil every week, and add a little here and there as needed. I always keep it at top of the 'proper level' range area. I just checked it on sunday, and it was fine, now on wednesday, they say it's low! I don't want to over-fill it, and like I said, according to the dipstick -it was full! Anyone else ever had the disptick show a different level of oil than what's actually there? Or perhaps the guys at the Express Lube are just retards, lol.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:38 PM
10 Second Club

I never trust any shop to change my oil. I do all my own work. Oil changes are easy on F-bodies. Just jack up the passanger side and I go from there. I like how the filter is straight up and down.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2000SSGirl
Or perhaps the guys at the Express Lube are just retards, lol.
bingo
Old 01-31-2007, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

LOL, yeah that's what I expected to hear. I have very little in the means of tools...no jacks...and NO flat ground either! Driveway and street are on a slope. Oil changing time is one of the few times that I miss having my ex around, lol. He had the perfect flat driveway and any tool known to man.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:48 PM
Launching!

I use Mobil 1 synthetic and my car will use some oil but it sounds like those guys are just retards, you might consider another place or try changing it yourself and save a few bucks.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

How are they measuring it to tell you that it is low?
Old 01-31-2007, 09:55 PM
Fiery Features Director

Are you checking the oil on an incline? They should be putting in 6 quarts of oil. The LS1 will consume oil over time because of the pcv design.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Zangel
Are you checking the oil on an incline? They should be putting in 6 quarts of oil. The LS1 will consume oil over time because of the pcv design.
Nope, I'm checking it on flat ground. I do add oil when it needs it. Just doesn't make any sense - I know I didn't lose half a quart of oil in the three days. I've gotta go back up there tomorrow so they can re-inspect my e-brake...I'll ask and see how many quarts they put in.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did they tell you exactly how much oil they put in?....these places sometimes tend to forget that theres something called an oil filter that can take around half a quart....
Old 02-01-2007, 01:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Always check your own oil when the is engine warm, and after sitting for a few minutes. Don't trust oil change places, book says 5.5 quarts so that's all they'll probably put in.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most oil change places will throw in 5 quarts and wont pre-lube the filter for you. I would use almost 6 quarts in my vehicle for what it worth.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:47 AM
12 Second Club

When you pull into the bay, show them the oil level BEFORE they touch anything. Then ask them to show where how they figure its low all of the sudden...
Almost sounds like they're squeezing an extra buck out of you. =\
Old 02-02-2007, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
Always check your own oil when the is engine warm, and after sitting for a few minutes. Don't trust oil change places, book says 5.5 quarts so that's all they'll probably put in.
LOL, yes - I know to check it when the engine is warm and has been sitting a few minutes. I'm not a complete airhead!
Old 02-02-2007, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rede
When you pull into the bay, show them the oil level BEFORE they touch anything. Then ask them to show where how they figure its low all of the sudden...
Almost sounds like they're squeezing an extra buck out of you. =\
Well, they're not implying that there is a leak or anything that they think I need to let them fix. It seems to me that they're implying that I'm not checking the oil. I just hate when they come in their and give me the entire over-view of what they're doing, show me my air filter, tell me the oil is low. Just seems like they must think I am some idiot or something and know nothing about my car.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, they're not implying that there is a leak or anything that they think I need to let them fix. It seems to me that they're implying that I'm not checking the oil. I just hate when they come in their and give me the entire over-view of what they're doing, show me my air filter, tell me the oil is low. Just seems like they must think I am some idiot or something and know nothing about my car.

Hi. The main reason they go over this stuff in detail w/ the customer, is so they don't get a bunch of phone calls / complaints about people asking if they did "this" or "that" to the car, or why they did _________ to their car. I agree w/ you about them going over the oil change in detail, thats a little crazy. Where I work, it depends on the customer. We will explain what we did, or what needs corrected to some of our older customers because they always want to know exactly what they are paying for, and usually don't like to part w/ any of their $$ unless there is a glaring reason. Or, If it is a very expensive job, we explain what we did because it puts the customers mind at ease about the amount of $$ that they are shelling out. Builds confidence in the customer so they bring their stuff back so I can keep adding more stuff to my bird, lol. But having the people at a 15minute oil change place explain in detail everything on an oil change would make anyone feel dumb, lol. Plus I'm sure you are reading the oil level right, they usually underfill, or over-fill every car anyways. I would go nuts doing a million oil changes a day, glad I work at a place that does everything except body work, keeps ya thinking.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackDuk98
Hi. The main reason they go over this stuff in detail w/ the customer, is so they don't get a bunch of phone calls / complaints about people asking if they did "this" or "that" to the car, or why they did _________ to their car. I agree w/ you about them going over the oil change in detail, thats a little crazy. Where I work, it depends on the customer. We will explain what we did, or what needs corrected to some of our older customers because they always want to know exactly what they are paying for, and usually don't like to part w/ any of their $$ unless there is a glaring reason. Or, If it is a very expensive job, we explain what we did because it puts the customers mind at ease about the amount of $$ that they are shelling out. Builds confidence in the customer so they bring their stuff back so I can keep adding more stuff to my bird, lol. But having the people at a 15minute oil change place explain in detail everything on an oil change would make anyone feel dumb, lol. Plus I'm sure you are reading the oil level right, they usually underfill, or over-fill every car anyways. I would go nuts doing a million oil changes a day, glad I work at a place that does everything except body work, keeps ya thinking.

Its all about CYA....

COVERING YOUR ***

In this case, theirs.
I can only imagine the claims that some [sh-eye-sters] come up with when something goes wrong. "Those sumbitches at the Quicky Lube didn't use the right oil and my air filter box wasn't closed properly.... no wonder why my engine crapped out over the weekend!"

They have to show you that you're filter is dirty and where the oil level is for insurance purposes more than anything... put its always fun playing the dumb blond and batting your eyelashes at them and go "o rly? o.0 "
I tried it, but Frank didn't appreciate my sense of humor.

Maybe they figure you're just a girl, what could you passably know about cars? pfffttt...

I'm not saying that's the case at all!
But there are oodles of shops/businesses out there that treat certain people 'special' because they figure that person doesn't know diddly.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I take my car up to an Express Lube to have the oil changed.
I think you've identified the problem.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

the guys there are ********. they never, ever check all the things they say they do. i used to take my Beretta and my mothers Taurus to a '10min oil change place' for a while. they gave me a checklist of everything they do - air filter, trans fluid, battery, tires, etc etc. to check the air filter in my Beretta required the removal of the airbox, held in by 4 screws. for the taurus, you had to completely remove the duct from the throttle body and take off the entire lid to change the filter......not once did they ever do either. i always did filters myself, so i didnt care, but they never go through the entire checklist. bottom line, dont trust them for anything, especially an LS1. id rather pay a few extra bucks and take it to a real garage with real mechanics, if you cant do it yourself. at least theyre somewhat more knowledgable then some 17yo kid out of highschool.

Search this Thread