New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rotor problem

Old 02-01-2007, 11:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rotor problem

i had my friend came over to look at my left rear brake... since im retarted when it comes to that. anyways he said that the rotor itself when it last got changed that the rotor was never rotated and just started to glaze over and over a little time the friction starts to make a high squeal b/w the pad and rotor, which explains after 10-15 min. of driving a loud high squeak comes from the back rear. is it as easy as it sounds just to rotate the rotors, or does that sound like b.s.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:37 AM
Teching In

They call it 'turning' the rotors. It is a machining process that slices off material to leave a smooth surface. If the rotors get too thin then they cannot be turned. It is so easy to just throw pads on that whoever did them last either took the easy way out or did not want to spend the time or money to get the job done right. You may have to replace the rotor. Any reputable brake place can quote the thickness specs that are required to let you 'turn' the rotors and re-use.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The discard thickness is on the rotor, so you should be able to see if it is past the discard or if there is still some thickness to which it can be reused. Turning rotors is fairly easy, so if you have access to a brake lathe through family/friends then just see if you can get someone to give you a hand and possibly save some $$. If not, get some new rotors and pads, and do the job yourself. Still saving $$.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's not warped you could put some crap on (It's made for the intended purpose, but I forget what it's called) to make it stop squeeling but your best bet would be to turn the rotors.

Search this Thread