Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How loud is the SLP LM?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 11:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How loud is the SLP LM?

I have a 00 Z that the previous owner installed a Flowmaster muffler. Factory pipes, just the muffler! I am interested in getting a Catback, but just curious how loud the LM is? Any other suggestions? Thanks!
Old 02-03-2007, 11:09 PM
TECH Addict

on stock manifolds and catted y-pipe, it will sound good...it will be loud, but not too bad...With LT headers and and ORY, then you're definitely talking about loud...with the LTs and ORY it won't have much of a refined tone, it will just be really loud and raspy...
Old 02-03-2007, 11:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by GreenBlood
on stock manifolds and catted y-pipe, it will sound good...it will be loud, but not too bad...With LT headers and and ORY, then you're definitely talking about loud...with the LTs and ORY it won't have much of a refined tone, it will just be really loud and raspy...

yes, with my jethots and high flow cats, the LM was LOUD!! like i got a ticket loud
Old 02-03-2007, 11:29 PM
Banned

I have the longtubes and the Offroad y pipe and loudmouth 1, with no mufflers.... basically just longtubes, and 3" piping all the way back (which is what loudmouth 1 is plus the resonator) and it is super loud. I live in downtown Houston and it has everyone staring at the car all the time because it is just obnoxiously (cant spell!) loud. It is good to a point where if you want it quiet... cop around... you can just run the car at 1,000-1,400 rpm range to keep it quiet where you can hardly here it, but as soon as you get over that 1,500 rpm band it gets really really loud.... i have this on my 00 TA M6

It sounds really mean and like a nascar car basically if you get the ideal, when you get above the 4,500 rpm range it gets raspy
Old 02-03-2007, 11:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

i've had it on two cars now and its ridiculously loud... I've also had a gmmg which was ridiculously loud with headers and ORY, and a magnaflow which is my favorite so far, very good sound and not too loud
Old 02-04-2007, 02:43 AM
Launching!

my friend has it on his 99 Z28, he has LT's and then dual exhaust with two LM resonators. Its really loud, I wouldnt want to take a road trip it would get annoying after being in the for very long. He also had gotten a ticket from it. I really like the sound of the Hooker Aero Chamber muffler.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, cause I have one, it's not that bad with the M6. It's still loud, but you can control it better with the M6. On interstate at about 75-80mph mine isn't that loud it has a nice mellow tone. WOT it has a racecar sound, and going through the gears it loud and raspy if you mash on it, but if you ease on it going through the gears it actually sounds really tough.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:11 AM
Teching In

I have it on mine with no headers and the factory y-pipe. No rasp ever, at any RPM. I wouldn't call it loud at all. It's much more noticable than factory, but not loud. I like the way it sounds very much. Texas Speed has a great price it now I believe.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

go for it!! it does sound good on a stock car. i mean really good. but when u do longtubes and ory .. holy **** man. its loud as f^ck.. i mean loud as f^ck.. especially going WOT!!
Old 02-05-2007, 08:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Marblehead
I have it on mine with no headers and the factory y-pipe. No rasp ever, at any RPM. I wouldn't call it loud at all. It's much more noticable than factory, but not loud. I like the way it sounds very much. Texas Speed has a great price it now I believe.
I have the TSP Rumbler which is basically the LM1 with a bullet muffler instead of the resonator. I wouldn't call it loud at all, but it has a VERY nice tone to it and sounds mean when diggin in the throttle. I took off a Flomaster catback (with the 80 series you have) and I would NEVER go back. It sounds so much better and louder.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just get it....

Look at my sig....does not get any louder!!!
Old 02-05-2007, 02:57 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have it on my Trans Am... stock exhaust manifolds, catted stock y-pipe.. it's got decent volume, and is loud enough to set off car alarms as I'm driving through a parking garage.

It's probably close to being the loudest catback on the market... you but these things on a car with a ORY and headers, and it sounds like the sky is breaking apart.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

As GreenBlood said as far as lm1 with stock manifolds it sounds good. I took the stock exhaust (muffler and y) off of my Hawk, and put the LM1 with the full flow y and I wouldn't trade it for no other sound. I actually went to ls1 sounds http://www.ls1sounds.com/slp_loudmouth.htm to hear it.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:13 PM
Launching!

I say go for it. I f&*kin like the way mine sounds. although I don't have headers (they're on the list need more $$$$). I feel I will probably keep it after I do do get some.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DrEvyl

It's probably close to being the loudest catback on the market... you but these things on a car with a ORY and headers, and it sounds like the sky is breaking apart.
+1
Old 02-06-2007, 03:20 AM
11 Second Club

I liked the sound of the LM on a stock car. Got very loud when I threw on my LT's and ORY. Gets kind of annoying to cruise @ 65 in with my A4, but it sounds so bad *** at WOT. And I love driving through tunnels or underneath of an overpass at WOT, it reminds me of a stock car (ie. Nascar)
Old 02-06-2007, 04:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had flows on mine when I bought it......then swapped out for the LM........Completly happy with my decision.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:55 AM
On The Tree

I don't even think my setup is obnoxiously loud. The cops disagree. It sounds completely badass at WOT. I don't notice a drone until around 80 MPH. Then again it is a 6 speed. This is the only setup I've had other than stock, and I'm not even considering changing it at this point. I say go for it. Nothing but compliments on it so far.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:06 AM
12 Second Club

Received 442 Likes on 353 Posts

I have a loudmouth with a bullet muffler on mine and plan on going to LTs/ORY in the near future. One thing I have found to cut down on the rasp is put a pair of resonator tips on it. I bought my LM used for $125 with 2 sets of tips and I've used the single slash cut tips since I installed it, because it was plenty loud like that. Last night I installed the resonator tips because I plan on doing the LTs soon and man, it really cut down on the rasp! I only idled it and revved it up in the garage, but I could really tell the difference. My buddy who I bought it from said he had LTs and ORY with the resonator tips and it made it a lot more livable.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:22 AM
TECH Addict

As im sure everyone else said LM on stock manifolds sounds awesome, but LTs/ORY it gets really loud and on a cammed car its deafening. I had it on my car with mac mids/ory/lm/232/238 cam and it was absolutely insane. It sounds amazing but the noise inside the cabin is unreal, and you stick out to cops like a sore thumb. I would say save your money and get a hooker or magnaflow catback and a cutout, or just a cutout as a LM I with the resonator sounds pretty similar to a cutout in the i-pipe on a stock car.