Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking

My Mustang was recently totaled and I am lookin to get into an LS1 car, as I am looking what are things I should watch for? Common problems? Assuming proper maintenance bone stock, how long will the motor last??
Old 02-04-2007, 12:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Motors last as long as you take care of them, some guys have LS1s with 200,000 miles on them, just depens on how you take care of it.

If you find a car you like, and there is a website for it, put it up on here, and have some guys look at it, and have them give you there opinions.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:32 PM
10 Second Club

try looking at a 01 or 02 so you get the good intake.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:50 PM
12 Second Club

If its a T/A, look at the door pannels. Seems like 3/4 of the ones I've seen have cracks on both sets of doors.
I was so pumpped on buying my T/A that I over looked the interior and didn't see the cracks in mine. Now I'm having a hard time finding replacements

Play with the windows several times as well to make sure you don't end up with a dud window motor. Same goes for the pop-up headlights.
Before I even made it out of the parking lot, (RIGHT after signing papers of course) the passenger side window died.

Always get an independant inspection done.
Some dealerships may over look something in favour of saving a repair cost before re-selling, or they maybe just trying to rush it out the door.
You could get a compression test done too while your at it, but not too many people I know bother with it. Not a bad thing to have checked out IMO...

Give the a/c and all other radio/heater controls a good test as well. Make sure you've got working air and no blown speakers.

Check the roof, just behind the T-tops (if equiped) to see if the paint is bubbling... several people here have mentioned that they've had rust forming there, but I beilve it is covered un warranty. Can someone confirm this..?

Lastly, take it on a good test drive. Open the baby up a few times, take a few twisties, work the brakes, ect.. and take it on a slightly rough road so you can check to rattles and squeaks.

These arn't critical items by any meens, but they'll give you some negotiating leverage when they try to tell you their 'lowest price'

Hope this helps.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rede
If its a T/A, look at the door pannels. Seems like 3/4 of the ones I've seen have cracks on both sets of doors.
I was so pumpped on buying my T/A that I over looked the interior and didn't see the cracks in mine. Now I'm having a hard time finding replacements

Play with the windows several times as well to make sure you don't end up with a dud window motor. Same goes for the pop-up headlights.
Before I even made it out of the parking lot, (RIGHT after signing papers of course) the passenger side window died.

Always get an independant inspection done.
Some dealerships may over look something in favour of saving a repair cost before re-selling, or they maybe just trying to rush it out the door.
You could get a compression test done too while your at it, but not too many people I know bother with it. Not a bad thing to have checked out IMO...

Give the a/c and all other radio/heater controls a good test as well. Make sure you've got working air and no blown speakers.

Check the roof, just behind the T-tops (if equiped) to see if the paint is bubbling... several people here have mentioned that they've had rust forming there, but I beilve it is covered un warranty. Can someone confirm this..?

Lastly, take it on a good test drive. Open the baby up a few times, take a few twisties, work the brakes, ect.. and take it on a slightly rough road so you can check to rattles and squeaks.

These arn't critical items by any meens, but they'll give you some negotiating leverage when they try to tell you their 'lowest price'

Hope this helps.
This is very good advice. I would do all of it.

Try to get your car checked out by a mechanic. They can go over most of the mechanical functions and check for leaks, etc.

98s fbodies are slightly different from 99-02 fbodies. They are not inherently bad but they do have some different parts that people might need to be aware of.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Find an '02.