New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to LS1's advice appreicated.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 03:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to LS1's advice appreicated.

Greetings to all,

I want to introduce myself, my name is Jesse. I recently aquired a 1999

Camaro SS (badass) might i add. Ive been driving it for about a week now

and i must say...WOW i come from driving Hondas (sorry, i see the light now)

and then i modded a Volvo S40. So i consider myself to be pretty car-savvy,

but i really need some advice. This car is a Stock black/tan SS with M6. I

think it may have a flowmaster muffler...gives a nice lil rumble... but i really

want to modd it a lil more...but im stuck..i dont know hwat to do exactly.

any advice for a noob modding an SS is appreciated. So far i know i want to

get cat-back and better mufflers...but what else? pullies? intake? Headers?

please any advice is appreciated. BTW great site and i look forward to

contributing to the info database as soon as i get some myself!
Old 02-14-2007, 03:32 PM
Teching In

Some great bang for the buck mods are long tube headers, y-pipe, port the throttle body, and get yourself a cam if you really want to wake up the car. The long tubes will make a huge difference in feel over stock.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

id say Lid/catback/headers should be your first mods...after that maybe a short throw shifter to ease daily driving some. after that it depends on your goals for the car...do you wanna run 11's? get a cam and start saving up for a 12 bolt rear. if you just wanna bang out a couple of mid 12 second passes then boltons are all ya need
Old 02-14-2007, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Shop around sponsor sites on the forum. Look to see what company's you like best and search to see what other people are using. Look into a lid, filter, and a cold air setup. I would look at a K&N filter, whisper lid, and the Austin super sucker ram air. Headers, look at pacesetters they are good quality and performance for the price. If you want the most horsepower out of headers look at QTP or Kooks. They are expensive but you can see gains up to 40 hp on the fly with other mods. Don't forget a y pipe. Ditch that flow master exhaust it’s probably the worst performance exhaust on an ls1 car. Look at SLP loud mouth, borla, magnaflow, etc. Don’t forget suspension; get a set of lower control arms with relocation brackets and a set of sub frame connecters. I have bolt in sub frame connecters and they are perfect. Weld INS is just the same it’s just what you prefer. It’s arguable but it’s your choice. Torque arm is also another must for first suspension mods. Just do allot of searches and read the stickys in the mod sections and so forth.

Welcome to the club, congrats on seeing the light!
Old 02-14-2007, 04:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Start off with:

Lid
NEW catback or muffler(Flowmasters are hp killers)
LS6 Intake
25% Under drive pulley
Longtube headers and Off Road Y pipe

Once you have gotten all these down, then next time we can discuss REAL HP gains with aftermarket heads and internals.

These cars are simple to work on, you'l be suprised!

Enjoy your badass ride man!
Old 02-15-2007, 01:53 PM
12 Second Club

LID!!!, then headers and ORY (off road Y pipe), then get started on suspension like said LCA's are great with relocation brackets, and deffinatly get subframe connectors, i dun care what anyone says dont bottle them or they will just ripp the frame make sure there welded in!!!!! after that some say nitrous some say cam its all a matter of what you want doen

TRY A SEARCH, theres lots of these questions that have already been answered in depth
Old 02-15-2007, 01:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by YellowMonster87
i dun care what anyone says dont bottle them or they will just ripp the frame make sure there welded in!!!!!
Do you mean Bolt On relocation brackets?

How do these "rip the frame"??

Im sure if they did that they wouldnt make them, and they def. wouldnt be almost twice as expensive as weld in brackets.

I have Bolt on brackets and couldnt be more pleased, and plus I dont have abunch of stuff welded in place and preventing me from an easy un installation.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

first do free stuff, descreen your stock MAF, port your throttle body yourself (by the way 98-99 have the better cam gear on the throttle body, opens to WOT faster than 00-02), do the throttlebody coolant bypass mod, about $5, fernco mod is also an option ($6 at home depot) but not a big difference maker, go to WS6store.com and buy a short stick for your shifter, about $25 and makes shifting seem a whole lot better, get a K&N and a LID about $150, you'll notice some difference in the car and you have only spent about $200, from then on it's all about what you want....
Old 02-15-2007, 02:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

honestly....first....read the stickies, get to know the specs about your and get smart.....dont take what people tell you on here as law....find out for yourself first...then start blowing money
Old 02-15-2007, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by staringback05
honestly....first....read the stickies, get to know the specs about your and get smart.....dont take what people tell you on here as law....find out for yourself first...then start blowing money
+1 stickies are the best source of information about modding and what to think about. There are massive amounts of helpful informations in the stickies which will suit your needs perfectly.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

how does the SLP lid on their site compare to the stock SLP lid? Mine is called a blackwing or something?
Old 02-16-2007, 10:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SHINER
Start off with:

Lid
NEW catback or muffler(Flowmasters are hp killers)
LS6 Intake
25% Under drive pulley
Longtube headers and Off Road Y pipe

Once you have gotten all these down, then next time we can discuss REAL HP gains with aftermarket heads and internals.

These cars are simple to work on, you'l be suprised!

Enjoy your badass ride man!

werd! those are all pretty good, and mostly cheap bolt-ons
Old 02-16-2007, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Lid
Borla Catback(I like it)
PaceSetter Long Tubes
Short throw shifter( like the hurst wtih the Lous short stick.
koni Shocks
Old 02-16-2007, 11:31 AM
11 Second Club

Dude.....

1. Lid and Filter. Some people argue about the effectiveness of an aftermarket filter, but for $40, it's a "what the hell" mod.
2. Long tube headers. Just about every brand will net close to the same horsepower. Watch out for the SLP's. While they are stainless AND ceramic, they hang really low. Get the underdrive pulley installed since the old one is coming off anyway. Expect to pay between $400-$800 if you install them.
3. True duals dumped before the axle. Maybe $300-$400 installed, and eliminates the need for an ORY and a catback i.e.; saves some money while delivering more power.
4. A nice camshaft. There are several "cookie cutter" cams that have done really well for people. Expect to pay $700-$800 installed.
5. Find yourself a GOOD tuner. He will be your best friend. He can get the most horsepower out of your car, and he can also make your car go boom. Don't fall for the tune by mail crap. Save the money and get a dynotune.

Before I did anymore that that (or even before some of that) I would start upgrading suspension. AT LEAST Subframe connectors. Don't wanna be twisting up that frame

And the key to any mod (and especially a tuner) is do a search. There are hundreds and thousands of hours of quality read on this board. PM the fast guys if you see a particular mod and are thinking about it. You will find most people are more than willing to help you out as long as you aren't harrassing them lol. Above all else, be safe and HAVE FUN!

Last edited by kjmdrumz3; 02-16-2007 at 04:52 PM.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

a lot of these guys have good things to get. thats pretty much how i started with my car, and now i need new heads and pistons to get my boost monster under control. i suggest you read the stickies and do all the small stuff then move onto cam/heads or heads and cam...... have fun
Old 02-16-2007, 12:22 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Stay stock or prepare to be an addict. I am at the point where Betty Ford couldn't stop me.

Or....

Read the stickies and get your understanding of what works up to speed first. Then spend $$.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

if your gunna keep your car stock, then get the hell of this site! hahahah j/k but seriously, if your gunna start dropping $$ in your car, for parts, labor etc... the BEST thing you can do is read up, and get GOOD advise on what to get, and how to do it, or even who to have do it for you, because in the long run, its always gunna be cheaper do do your research so you dont end up buying something, and then taking it to somebody who actually knows what they are talking about and have to go buy something else...so just make sure you don't fly by the seat of your pants and buy all the expensive stuff on a whim.....just my advise lol
Old 02-16-2007, 08:23 PM
11 Second Club

People who have told you to read and learn first and mod second are your friends.... listen to them
Old 02-16-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZYAL8ER
Some great bang for the buck mods are long tube headers, y-pipe, port the throttle body, and get yourself a cam if you really want to wake up the car. The long tubes will make a huge difference in feel over stock.

Those LT's can be a slippery slope if you 02's don't heat up fast enough and need to be code free for inspections.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is your LS1 Mod bible, don't thank me thank

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/361959-so-you-wanna-fast.html

don't thank me, thank Jaberwaki