Sponsored by:

Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 05:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Exhaust?

Hello all!

I just bought an 01SS vert, I have a few questions about the exhaust.

1. It is a three piece setup, are the three sections bolted together?
Ex. Y-pipe bolted to the after cat section

2. When I replace the exhaust I understand that I have to jack up the front end, is this for ease of installing the headers from the bottom as well as removing the old manifolds?

3. I plan on keeping the car for a long time (till death do us part). Which is the best stainless exhaust system? Please give recommendations.

4. Is it okay to mix different makes Kooks/Borla when putting the whole exhaust together?

Thanks!!
Old 02-16-2007, 05:33 PM
12 Second Club

1. yes

2. yes

3. everyone is going to give you their opinion on which one is best. check out ls1sounds.com there are lots of sound clips so you can figure out which one you like the best. i vote corsa

4. yes, i have pacesetter long tube headers pacesetter ory and a loudmouth ory back.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:38 PM
Teching In

Thanks Girl Friend!
Old 02-16-2007, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check the External Section below....there is LOADS of topics on this. Remember that exhuast is all RELATIVE to the driver and wants/needs/budgets/and LOOKS!
Old 02-16-2007, 08:05 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

On your '01 SS the exhaust is 6 pieces total.

1) Left exhaust manifold

2) Right exhaust manifold

3) Left cat, with downpipe

4) Right cat, with downpipe

5) Y-pipe

6) Catback (I-pipe, over-the-axle-pipe, muffler, tailpipes, tips)

Each section bolts to the next, with a 3-bolt flange for the cat-to-manifold connetion, a 2-bolt ball flange for the cat-to-Y-pipe connection, and a band clamp for the Y-pipe-to-catback connection.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:09 PM
Teching In

Thanks RPM! Very clear and concise!
Old 02-16-2007, 08:12 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by 01SS-SUN-FUN
Thanks RPM! Very clear and concise!

Glad to help. I've removed/installed so many exhaust systems on LS1 F-bodies that I can basically do it in my sleep.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is your main interest sound or best flowing.
they say and i don't know if its true, maybe RPM can shine some light on this, but there is no catback system that flows better than a cutout and there is nothing that flows better than true duals.

I love my electronic cutout and think it sounds great, and I have heard F-bodies with true duals, with LTs and no cats and that will scare the **** out of anyone when you pass them on the road
Old 02-16-2007, 10:03 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by ICEMAN 31
Is your main interest sound or best flowing.
they say and i don't know if its true, maybe RPM can shine some light on this, but there is no catback system that flows better than a cutout and there is nothing that flows better than true duals.
Here's what I can tell you as far as catbacks vs cutouts:

There are some extremely high flowing catbacks on the market. Some flow well enough, that a cutout will offer only very minor gains. For example, one of the best flowing catbacks (utilizing a muffler) on the market that I've seen tested was the old SLP 2OTL (2 on the left) system. Though not popular due to the appearance of the dual left side tails pipes only, it was one of the best flowing catbacks I've ever seen. I once saw a heads/cam LS1 dynoed back-to-back with this catback system and a cutout capped and uncapped....and the gain was only 2rwhp with the cutout open. On a heads/cam car. Impressive, IMO.

Now some catbacks flow like poop, Flowmaster crossflow muffler systems for example. In that case, if you wanted Flowmaster because you like the sound, you're best off getting a cutout as well for preimium power when needed (track, dyno, etc.).

In general, most catbacks will be very similar in terms of flow, give or take a few rwhp. And the cutout will offer some gains, and for the $35 they cost, it's not a bad investment if you want to squeeze out every last HP you can. But you won't pick up massive HP with a cutout on most aftermarket catbacks on a bolt-on LS1 car.

As for true duals, they do offer excellet flow, but the price and (depending on the system) ground clearance issues (especially on lowered cars) keeps some people away. These systems tend to get pretty costly if you want to have the tailpipes run all the way out the back like stock....if you're OK with dumps at the axle, then the price will be significantly less.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 02-16-2007 at 10:10 PM.