Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doing my first LS1 rebuild (inside/out).... Advice/Support

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 10:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doing my first LS1 rebuild (inside/out).... Advice/Support

well, i spun a bearing about 3 months ago so instead of buying a whole new block, ive decided to just upgrade the internals since the block was still good. I went with forged internals and im having it honed/bore and parts balanced right now. Once thats done, im goign to be putting it back together. My buddies and I took the motor out ourselves (through the top, better believe it!) and we dessembled it ourselves. So far, it seems like we should just do the same steps but in reverse. The only thing that scares me is having the bearings dead center where they need to be on the crank journals and rods and what not... besides that, i already know that i have to torque to yield. But if anybody can give me advice just in case you went through the same and missed something vital, so i wont have to go though it myself!!!!
Old 03-12-2007, 02:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

honestly BEST ADVICE....take your time....

make sure all your torque specs are right, and dont forget anything...
Old 03-12-2007, 02:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by staringback05
honestly BEST ADVICE....take your time....

make sure all your torque specs are right, and dont forget anything...
+1...also have someone that knows what they are doing on speed dial just incase you have any questions
Old 03-13-2007, 01:13 AM
Staging Lane

You don't have to worry about the bearings being put on just perfect. The notches on the bearings will have a place on the journals so they only go in one way and will sit perfeclty how they need too. Make sure you put a small dab of lithium grease on the bearings that way at first start up nothing is still actually connecting metal to metal. Also put small piece of rubber hoses over the studs of the rods(if using studs) that way they don't have a chance to scratch the inside of the cylinder wall or hit the crank bad while trying to push them down.

If you want any other small tips no one really ever tells you. PM me and I'll try to think of everything I really can.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check out this article on GMHTP...this is the first of four parts. Parts 2 and 3 are on this same page, just above part 1. Part 4 is on the previous page.

LS1 build
Old 03-17-2007, 07:50 AM
TECH Regular

torque to yeild fasteners are not to be re used, but replaced with new fasteners. Take your time, put the motor back in through the bottom, and if you have any questions ask the guys in the internal section. Set up your rings for a big shot of nitrous while you're at it
AJ
Old 03-17-2007, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ArrestMeRed99Z28
torque to yeild fasteners are not to be re used, but replaced with new fasteners. Take your time, put the motor back in through the bottom, and if you have any questions ask the guys in the internal section. Set up your rings for a big shot of nitrous while you're at it
AJ
im going to have to disagree...you can put the motor in through the top, however youll have to remove the hood and keep the balancer off until you reinstall it in the car.