Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ported Tb

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ported Tb

How much hp if any can you pick up from a stock ported tb. I am saving up for bigger intake but was thinking about porting my tb until I can get ahold of a fast or ls6.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

With your mods listed you will pick up some but not much mabye 5 rwhp.
Cam it and put on an ls6 intake 10-12 rwhp.
I would not waste my money on a fast till you a least get a cam.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:30 AM
11 Second Club

Whats your guess as to added RWHP with the addition of both a ported TB and an LS6 to a basically stock motor? About 25ish?
Old 03-17-2007, 05:04 AM
11 Second Club

Wishful thinking I guess. But I'll take the HP anyway I can get it. And those two mods seem to be pretty good bang for the buck for bolt-on's. I'm not ready to break into the motor yet so those will have to do.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:39 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Genesis_26317
They are both pretty good and pretty standard mods.

Non-invasive and you don't have any potential down-falls such as a; loss of low-end torque, emissions problems (as long as you either don't have the EGR system or purchase a SLP LS6 intake manifold with EGR fittings), banging exhaust, excess noise, detonation etc, etc, etc, that other mods might cause.
Yeah, I love my banging y-pipe, lol. I'm gonna get the TB ported this week. I'm just torn between getting a converter or an LS6 intake next. I'd like to do the intake so that I'm bacially finished with bolt-on's. And if I get a converter I wouldn't have the tire to take full advantage of it yet.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:58 AM
TECH Regular

If you put a 4,200 stall in there than it is like you talked the girl into letting you in the backdoor. Why you ask, because when you are all done there are skid marks all over the place. Oh, and you finish a lot quicker sometimes too.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
I just laughed so hard I just about **** myself
AJ
Old 03-17-2007, 07:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No way in hell. Probably about 20 hp at the flywheel if you use the max estimates of the two added together.

The big thing is though that you get more throttle response. How much I don't want to make butt-dyno type statements.

It would be nice if there was a unbiased, consistent, empirical series of actual quarter mile tests done to show the effects of a ported throttle body in more than just dyno results.

That sure as hell isn't going to happen. Maybe I should right one of the auto mags.

I saw it happen with the Camaro's aftermarket airlid selection in a magazine article once. There were significant differences in hp/trq results compared to real-world performance numbers though. Higher numbers didn't actually mean higher trap speeds or lower times.

I would assume using that logic then that the ported TB could easily be more than just numbers on a dyno graph.
Since it's copywrited, go to ls1howto.com and go to the intake manifold swap under fbody's there is a graph there showing 20+rwhp gains.

also go the ported TB he gives 4-7rwhp gains.

I would say 25hp out of a ls6 and a ported TB is possible. I know this is on a cammed car (at least the ls6 is), however, with some searching I would bet you would find "similar" results on a stock, or almost, car.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

your ported stock t/b will work even after you get the LS6 cause they share the same opening bore size, 75mm
Old 03-17-2007, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the info.