Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car dead after getting codes.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 11:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unhappy Car dead after getting codes.

Hi, My name is Chris. I've got a 2001 Z28 that I bought used. I was driving around town running arrends when I noticed the SES light on. There is no Autozone close by so I can't get a free scan, but I was in Kragens and noticed they had readers so I decided to buy one. I figured that if I take my car to the dealer I wouldn't get out of there for less then $250. If it turned out to be an O2 sensor I could change it myself and maybe save some money. I got a PO430 code, bad cat. I've read on here that this would be covered under warranty. After I got the code, I went in the house to get the laptop to log onto LS1TECH for more information. As I'm getting the laptop, I stop and talk to my wife and tell her whats going on. She then hands my dumba$$ the notice about bad cats that I had gotten in the mail several months ago (that I forgot about). I go back out to the car to find the power/ign. had timed out,(I left the reader plugged in). I turned the key off then back on and NOTHING. The ignition still dings but no dash lights, no starter click... Its about an hour and a half later. I just went out to my car and put the key in the ignition, turned it on and off twice. Dash lights came on the first time but not the second time. Is this some kind of 'safe mode' thing? I hope I don't end up costing my stupid a$$ alot more money then what I was trying to save by 'doing it myself'. Has anyone experianced anything close to this? Any information would be great!
Thanks. Chris.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No... Does it kick over at all? Or try to? anf if the check engine light is on.. just turn it off for the time being.. you car is in "limp mode" my cat when out 2 months ago.. Had some issue starting becasue the light was on.. Try getting the light off... unplug the battery if you cant get it off by the scanner
Old 03-21-2007, 03:24 PM
Launching!

did you see if the battery died? i'm not sure whats going on but that would be where i would start at.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Start with the smaller things.. will save you in the end.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I tried to start the car this morning before work and nothing. I borrowed some jumper cables from work. Got home, jumped it and it started. I let it run for 15 min. then turned it off to see if it would start again. It did. Turned it off again for 15 min. Started. The SES light is no longer on, but I guess its time to see the dealer. I don't know what I did but I hope I don't do it again! Thanks for the replies.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Forgot to add the batteries 'green light' was still visable and the car was driving and operating fine up intil I tried to get the code. To get the code you have to turn the key to on, but not start it. I couldn't have had it on for more then 10-15 min. I guess it sucked enough juice out of it to not start it again. I dunno...
Old 03-21-2007, 07:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Junk that delco POS and get an optim red top.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

+1 for need battery too. You should be able to leave all your lights on for that long and not drain the battery.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:15 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Sounds like its time for a new battery.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

A battery is probably a good idea. I've had the car since last summer so I don't really know if this battery is original or not. I was driving it around earlier and no problems. This is my first Camaro and I have really been enjoying it. Never had any car that was as fast and handled as well (and I haven't even done anything to the suspension yet) as this car. You know, whats funny is for a car that didn't sell that well I sure see alot of Camaros around my area (Northern California). I see alot more Mustangs but I see quite a few Camaros also.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

When you do head to the dealer, make sure your SES light is on. If there isnt a code stored in the PCM when you take it in, they wont warranty the CAT. So just be sure the code is stored and dont erase it.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

The lights not on anymore, and I didn't erase the code. I guess its going to come back on at some point?