Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission or Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 02:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Transmission or Engine?

Earlier today I noticed that when I downshift to 1st gear there's a bit of a struggle....Then, just right now I was driving and everytime I left a stop sign I can hear some noises either from the engine or transmission...WTF is this? Damn I'm pretty pissed!! Everytime the clutch catches I can hear the noises...What do you guys think this is?
Old 03-30-2007, 04:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I imagine if you dont hear it with the clutch disengaged you can most likely rule out the engine. So you can probably narrow it down from the clutch disk back. If the noise only changes or gets faster-slower with engine speed it could be the clutch or throwout, but if it progressively gets faster-slower,louder-quieter with your mph then probably your trans is the culprit
Old 03-30-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

My cousin told me its probably a throw out bearing..? Do you guys think that could be it?
Old 03-30-2007, 09:17 PM
TECH Regular

I would say it is most likely clutch chatter, do you have a stock clutch assembly in your car? How many miles on the current clutch? Any slipping?

If the throwout bearing were extremely worn out it could possibly cause slow engagement, but perhaps your system is low on hydraulic fluid which could cause a slow or jerky engagement thus making noise.

Now this is just a theory of mine so hopefully someone steps in and supports it or says I'm wrong but a worn trans mount could also possibly cause clutch chatter upon engagement due to the sudden change in applied/neutral torque.

If it happens in EVERY gear *engaging/disengaging* then the only way it could be the trans is if your main/counter shafts had a problem. I think it's a safe bet it is in your clutch assembly or mount.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

throw out bearing
Old 03-30-2007, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just got done driving it around...Yup it happens every single time I leave from a stop. It only happens in 1st gear. I'm not really hard on the car either...well I haven't lately atleast. Its probably a good idea not to drive the car right? I do have the stock clutch in, but I have 73,000 miles...
Old 03-31-2007, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had my dad drive it and he told me that its a thowout bearring...Does that mean I would have to get a whole new clutch? If so what kind should I get?
MODS: GMMG, P&P TB, LID, FTRA, LS6 INTAKE, MSD WIRES
FUTURE MODS: HEADS, CAM, LT HEADERS, PULLEY, ETC.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SSmokin99
I had my dad drive it and he told me that its a thowout bearring...Does that mean I would have to get a whole new clutch? If so what kind should I get?
MODS: GMMG, P&P TB, LID, FTRA, LS6 INTAKE, MSD WIRES
FUTURE MODS: HEADS, CAM, LT HEADERS, PULLEY, ETC.

Spec 3+ is pretty good, so is centerforce
Old 03-31-2007, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

What are most of you guys using and how much am I looking to spend for the clutch??