Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To patch or not to patch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 10:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To patch or not to patch?

Last night me an the wife are gettin ready for dinner, hop in the Z and back out of the driveway. Flop flop flop and what do you know passenger rear has a flat. It was a damn nail right in the center of the tread , to make this short I put a plug in it and took it on a drive today its keeping pressure and seems to be ok. My question is, is it better to take it to a tire place to get a patch or just roll with the plug? And with a plug or a patch should I baby the tire now or forget its even there?
Old 04-08-2007, 11:50 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

A patch is always the best way to go. With it being right in the middle of the tread, the patch should hold up great and likely not give you any further problems for the life of the tire.

I've had many tires patched, they always hold up fine unless the patch is very near the tread-to-sidewall connection (those might leak). I've even had drag radials patched, and done many, many burnouts after that without issues.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No Plugs! they can cause the tire to separate. Patches are the way to go.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah I kinda figured a patch would be best, I just wasnt sure about how well a patch would hold up to DD and some random burnouts etc.. RPM WS6 il take your advise an get it patched tommarow today being easter an all. Thanks!
Old 04-08-2007, 01:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My previous set of Nitto DRs got a nail in the outer tread block. I took it to the local tire shop and they put a plug-patch in it. I put THOUSANDS of miles on it afterwards including an uncountable amount of burnouts and highspeed runs. It was still fine when I took that set off for my new pair.