Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 lifting question

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 09:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 lifting question

Hey guys/gals, I just bought my first motor, and LS1, and I need to lift it into the back of a truck to get it home. I was going to borrow a lift from a friend, but I was wondering if someone could tell me what size bolts I will need to bring to hook the chain up to it. Oh, I'm also going to pull the heads and oil pan as soon as I get it to check out the internal condition, but I don't think I have the tool for the nuts and bolts on the bottom end, what exactly is that called? It looks like an inversed torx from what I can see.

Thanks!

Here are some pictures of my new baby!

Old 06-07-2007, 10:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Some M10x1.5 bolts would be useful with the chain.

I don't think you'll need any inverse torx bits to get the pan & heads off. Everything's pretty much just standard metric. I've seen inverse torx studs on (for example) my LT1 oil pan, but those are just studs, and come out easily when you grab 'em with a pair of pliers. I don't own any inverse torx bits, and I've assembled both my LT1 and LS1 motors.

Have fun.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:08 PM
Teching In

Well that is good to know, thanx. I just know that when I was looking at pictures the other day, it looked like the sheild inside of the oil pan had some inverse torx, but I guess that was just the stud ends. Worst case, I pull the pan off and have to put it back on.

Thanx man.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's this going in?
Old 06-07-2007, 09:32 PM
Teching In

S10...SHHH!

No, it's not much of a secret anymore. I'm putting it into an S10 with a C5 driveline. It's going to be quite a bit of work, but completely worth it. I hope to have it done by the end of this winter. If anyone has any C5 driveline parts, I'm looking for them, I need everything for a manual setup, either a M6 or M12, including bell housing to rear hubs.

It's going to be so bad *** though.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:36 AM
Teching In

Well my next question is, how much does the motor, with manifolds, without accessories(just water pump), weight? I thought I saw 350 some pounds somewhere, but that sounds light.